RF interference running in split coil mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RF interference running in split coil mode

I know this is an old topic. I have the everything axe setup with JB Jr bridge, Duckbucker middle and Lil 59 neck along with the coil split toggle switch. I prefer positions 2 and 4 with split coil but sometimes get RF interference from lighting and/or dimmers around the stage. At least that's what I suspect since it doesn't seem like a ground loop hum. The obvious test is to run in dual coil mode and see what happens. Longer term is look at operating some gear off of separate outlets, or trying to relocate myself on stage to see if that helps.

74 Strat Body and Bridge with Warmoth maple neck, compound radius, jumbo stainless frets and
    Duncan Everything Axe Pickups: Lil59 neck, DuckBucker middle, JB Jr Bridge
    Using Line 6 Helix modeler. Also Helix Native VST with Cakewalk Sonar
    2nd guitar: Variax JTV 59

Re: RF interference running in split coil mode

Are you sure you're not merely hearing the regular 60cycle hum......I mean in split coil mode you do get that.
    RF tends to get in no matter what selection you have as it is based on length of wires and wiring setup.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      Are you sure you're not merely hearing the regular 60cycle hum......I mean in split coil mode you do get that.
      RF tends to get in no matter what selection you have as it is based on length of wires and wiring setup.
      It's not a 60 cycle hum, I know how that sounds. I'm going run the pickups in humbucking mode tomorrow and see if that helps.
      74 Strat Body and Bridge with Warmoth maple neck, compound radius, jumbo stainless frets and

Comment

Originally posted by Burnhaven View Post
        It's not a 60 cycle hum, I know how that sounds. I'm going run the pickups in humbucking mode tomorrow and see if that helps.
        I know you have yet to perform the test, but if it proves to be RF interference, consider shielding your control cavity and backside of the control cavity cover if they are not already shielded.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
          I know you have yet to perform the test, but if it proves to be RF interference, consider shielding your control cavity and backside of the control cavity cover if they are not already shielded.
          Running in humbucker mode didn't really help. It's definitely that bacon sizzle kind of noise that mostly goes away by touching the strings. I adjusted the threshold on my noise gate to -50 which helped but any higher than that and you begin to affect sustain etc. Finally I moved farther away from this large incandescent bulb that was hanging almost over my head. We have several of the large, clear glass ( retro ) bulbs hanging down and they're on a dimmer. Moving away seemed to help more than anything.

People always sacrifice audio on the altar of appearances. I may look for some kind of RF detector if they don't cost a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnhaven View Post
            Running in humbucker mode didn't really help. It's definitely that bacon sizzle kind of noise that mostly goes away by touching the strings. I adjusted the threshold on my noise gate to -50 which helped but any higher than that and you begin to affect sustain etc. Finally I moved farther away from this large incandescent bulb that was hanging almost over my head. We have several of the large, clear glass ( retro ) bulbs hanging down and they're on a dimmer. Moving away seemed to help more than anything.

People always sacrifice audio on the altar of appearances. I may look for some kind of RF detector if they don't cost a fortune.
            RF detector not needed. The symptoms and interactions you just described are classic signs of RF interference. Your guitar needs to get shielded.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

This may sound unbelievable, but I have one specific cable, that if I plug into the guitar, it will pick up a radio station. The guitar is shielded well. I have also noticed that having the Keurig on will add some noise to the amp. Same goes for dimmers.

Comment

Working...
              X