Fat Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Cats

Anybody throw Seymour Duncan FatCats in a strat equipped with a Floyd Rose? Did it kill the tone or did they still sound good?

Re: Fat Cats

Did the Phat Cats kill the tone, or the Floyd Rose?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't think Floyd Roses so much kill the tone of the guitar as they do possibly kill the subconscious "vibe" of the guitar, making us percieve tone as inferior. There is still a bit of a thinning of the bass though if you ask me.

As for the Phat Cats, they work a lot better in a Strat than they do in Gibson styles guitars, some people on this forum have had less than optimal experiences with them in a Les Paul.

I don't usually recommend a DiMarzio over a Duncan, but in this category I'd look towards the Bluesbucker first to fill the same role.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I was gunna use it in the neck. In the past I've used vintage or mid output humbuckers only to discover they sound weak with a Floyd. The better ones being a little hotter say around 7 or 8 resistance in the neck. The bridge I would say nothing less than 9.0 resistance with a Floyd. The A5 mag sounds good at low volume or on a mid to low output with a vintage trem. I think an A2 for hotter pickups or high volume. Especially with a 4x12 cab and maybe 2x12 depending on how many tubes in the amp for bottom end.
        I'm worried the Fatcat with a Floyd may not be hot enough and end up sounding thin and weak. Hard tail or vintage trem they sound great I'll bet.
        Last edited by philthis; 01-25-2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I don't think a neck Phat Cat could ever suck by getting thinned out.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 01-25-2020, 10:29 PM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
          X