Thread: Most important missing pedal

Default Re: Most important missing pedal

a Rat

- Big Muff
    - Univibe
    - Compressor
    - EQ pedal
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Looper

Eq pedal

Volume pedal
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Jackson Soloist 7 string

Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    How do you go about this?
    My boards have fuzz first, then vibe, then buffered tuner and a compressor.

ODs come after that: a hot lead drive for cut/chunk, and a TS/klone type for mid push/liquid parts. These can be combined.

Chorus next, and then a transparent OD right before the foundation drives, as a "more" pedal for extra drive & compression without changing the overall character. It's like goosing the preamp gain on your head for certain tunes. (I like having chorus in the middle because I can get three flavors that way: cleaner/swirly with minimal drive, studio-glassy 80s chorus with OD in front, or a more ragged organic richness with drive mostly after chorus, like the old days when I was running my chorus into a driven amp.)

I have two foundation drives - generally one American flavored and one British, before delay & reverb. I plug different pedals into these spots depending on whether I want midgain Plexi & brownface tones, or hotter JCM & driven-blackface tones. But normally it's one Marshall and one Fender type. They're not too gained-up so I can hit both without mud if I want to. (The later pedal seems to affect the final sound more, so American-into-British works best for me - when I combine them it's Marshall stack tone I'm looking for.) If I were playing metal, I might configure things differently. But I'd probably still use two drives in this position.

One nice thing about not running foundation pedals too hot is, it preserves clarity and character. They don't flub out from the chunk of my hot drive or tame down its sear. Pushing them with a TS, they behave like an amp pushed by a TS. Fuzz doesn't disappear into a mud pit. And when I do want extra distortion & sustain, that's what the transparent drive is there for.

To me the crucial factor in choosing foundation pedals is good amplike interaction with the guitar's volume knob. I treat those exactly as if they were amps - cleans come from backing off the guitar, not turning off the foundation drives. The only time they're both off is for dead-clean dryness.

[EDIT: I have to confess - thinking about it, both my boards now have a dual pedal in their transparent-drive spot. One uses a Box Of Awesome, which has Lovepedal's OD11 transparent drive plus a Kalamazoo drive - a bit Klonlike, though not actually a klone. The smaller board uses an AmpEleven, which has the same OD11 plus a Church Of Tone - single-knob boost that adds nice tubelike grit. So that's six drives already. The larger board also has an Elephant Man clean boost after the drives.]

After all gain, there's an EP3 pedal (Chase Secret Pre on one, tiny Henretta Emerald Prince on the other) and then delay (Alexander Quadrant and Lovepedal Echophonic, respectively). The larger board also has a Neunaber Immerse reverb at the end and a FreQout feedback pedal near the beginning, after the tuner.

Anyway, I've had good results layering drive pedals set for lower gain rather than using one-pedal-for-one-sound at high gain.

Another thing - at stage volume you almost always sound better with a little less gain than you think you want. It's been my experience that a band mix usually benefits from the extra clarity too.

Like many of my generation, my early amps didn't have a lot of gain on tap. Today there's unlimited gain available in so many flavors that I think many guitarists go overboard with it. IMO this applies to many seasoned pros nowadays, not just amateurs and home players.

But that's just my opinion. As with anything tone-related, YMMV.
    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 01-27-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."-Jol Dantzig

I have to admit, I dwell a pretty long time about how I would use a pedal before I get it. Any new pedal is a change to how I am working, and I have to decide if upsetting my workflow is worth it. I was never a 'collect them all and let's see what happens' guy.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Member BeKindRewind's Avatar

EQ pedal

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ISP Decimator G-String ii ???
    Who took my guitar?

An Eventide PitchFactor
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

No one cares about your gear list; believe me.

My Soundcloud

Looper w/beats or an EQ

EQ mofos
    Up above
    Aliens hover
    Making home movies
    For the folks back home

Most important missing pedal is the one that finishes my pedalboard, so I'm happy with it and don't need to reorganize it again until something breaks.

Any ideas?
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    Most important missing pedal is the one that finishes my pedalboard, so I'm happy with it and don't need to reorganize it again until something breaks.

Any ideas?
    Do you have a wah and a trem?

Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    Do you have a wah and a trem?
    Worm has both, but I never really use them except for fixed setting tone.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years