Clean breakup cab schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean breakup cab schemes

Do you think it would be possible to build a cab for clean breakup at low volumes out of maybe a cheap combo and a small and/or low wattage speaker? My Peavey amp on 5 watts sounds really good through my 8" Vox practice amp with a replacement speaker. But it still has to be kind of loud since the speaker has some headroom to it. Do you think the size of the speaker or the wattage would be more important to get breakup? Or both? The problem is most replacement speakers that I've seen that seem good are rated around 20 watts. Maybe I could run a 5" cab in tandem with my 8" or 10". I'm not necessarily going to go through with this project, I just wanted to hear your guys' thoughts or experiences.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Clean breakup cab schemes

I think it has to do the wattage. I have no problem getting an AC15 to breakup. A JC120 is damn near impossible to break up on the other hand.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TVFV; 01-24-2020, 10:16 PM.
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Just get a Microcube.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
        I think it has to do the wattage. I have no problem getting an AC15 breakup. A JC120 is damn near impossible to break up on the other hand.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
        If you can get a JC120 to Break up, then it's time to Break up with that JC120
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          If you can get a JC120 to Break up, then it's time to Break up with that JC120
          METAL \m/ \m/!!!

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

^ Ya that thing on 10 with a hard hitting bridge pup would probably break up lol!

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
            I think it has to do the wattage. I have no problem getting an AC15 to breakup. A JC120 is damn near impossible to break up on the other hand.
            I think so. I just have no idea where I'd get a quality low wattage replacement speaker.

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Just get a Microcube.
            If I knew that cab had a solid speaker in it I would be all over it. 5" 2 watt speaker?! Yas. It's probably just referring to the amp tho. I have no idea how much headroom the speaker has.
            I bought them for you

Comment

If you are searching for speaker cone breakup, I think it will be a bit of an experiment.

Power ratings could have more to do with where the speaker will fail due to voicecoil excursion or overheating.

Speaker cone breakup is more likely a function of the cone material and construction. So as you approach the rated limit of a lower wattage speaker the cone still may breakup in a musical way, or instead it may have a harsh or approaching mechanical failure tone.

I have a JSX MC and a VK Royal 8 which are both 5W. I have never really attempted to get a good clean breakup tone from them. For that I usually go with my C30 clean channel, but I admit the C30 is well beyond the levels you are interested in. I'll try my 5 watters and see how they do. If they do well I might be able track down the speakers in those for some specifications help.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

You are looking for speaker breakup at low volumes? Probably start scavenging old, cheap combo speakers. Or are you looking for a speaker that will stay low in volume while the amp breaks up? For that you are looking at low sensitivity speakers. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think 96dB is about the lowest now. You could try a 10” Greenback, it won’t be quiet but it’ll sound good.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought speaker breakup was basically what happens when it overloads, at which point you risk causing permanent damage to it? Isn't the general rule that you want your amp to go into overload while the speakers stay clean?
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  1973 Aria 551
                  1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                  1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                  1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                  1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                  1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                  2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    You are looking for speaker breakup at low volumes? Probably start scavenging old, cheap combo speakers. Or are you looking for a speaker that will stay low in volume while the amp breaks up? For that you are looking at low sensitivity speakers. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think 96dB is about the lowest now. You could try a 10” Greenback, it won’t be quiet but it’ll sound good.
                    Based on the first post, I think the OP is looking for an amp that'll break up without being overly loud. I don't know if they still make them, but a Z.Vex Nano is 1/2 watt which should work well for that. Maybe one of the 1-watt Marshalls? In addition to keeping the wattage as low as possible, you'd also want the least efficient speaker you can find.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The OP's amp will go down to 1W, but the OP might not be satisfied with something on that setting. The ZVex Nano is a great suggestion!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        Based on the first post, I think the OP is looking for an amp that'll break up without being overly loud. I don't know if they still make them, but a Z.Vex Nano is 1/2 watt which should work well for that. Maybe one of the 1-watt Marshalls? In addition to keeping the wattage as low as possible, you'd also want the least efficient speaker you can find.
                        Yap. I really like my Peavey on 1 or 5 watts thru my 8" Jensen speaker. It's sort of loud though. That Zvex Nano looks pretty sweet. I was just wondering if it would be possible to slap together a combo cab plus an inefficient speaker that also has good tone. Because it would only be like an $100 investment if I could find the right speaker.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

I realized my VKRL8 has an EL844 in it, and my daughter took my JSX MC back to FL with her.

I think it would be interesting to see what a Weber CS8 (https://www.tedweber.com/8sigf) would sound like. It is a custom Weber in the JSX MC but I can't shake it down right now.

Comment

Damn son!

I bought them for you

Comment

You're going to have to sell me your C20MH for cheap if you are going Zvex. ...or maybe just swap me for my Triple XXX Half Stack I have not been able to sell.

Comment

Working...
                              X