banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental Custom Wind: Any Predictions How It'll Sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Custom Wind: Any Predictions How It'll Sound?

So I've been winding some humbuckers lately just to experiment with different tones and have some fun. It seems like a logical extension of building guitars to take that last step and try to actually give them their 'voice.'

This one is a bit unusual: Slug coil wound with 44AWG PE wire to 11.5K, screw coil wound with 42AWG PE wire to 5.15K (total 16.7K), with an A5 magnet.

I'm using inexpensive kits from Amplified Parts, and they've been pretty consistent and easy to assemble; I've made a few functional pickups with some nice tones, just experimenting.

So I'm installing this in my 'test bed' guitar tomorrow, but I'm curious what folks suspect this will sound like? I'm just getting a feel for 'recipes' on this sort of stuff.

Larry

Re: Experimental Custom Wind: Any Predictions How It'll Sound?

That idea sounds great! I'd love to hear about the results of your sound tests.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't think even another winder could have even the least idea about how it might sound. So many variables unknown.

Hopefully it sounds good. The 44/42 combo sounds interesting......not typically the coil gauges combined, and the relative K reading are very high for each coil.

Comment

That's going to sound very strange.
        Which, in my book, could be good.
        I'm guessing, a thick lower mid, with lots of weird top end due to the mismatch.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you counting your number of turns, as well? DCR is such a rough measure on its own, to be honest.

If your wire tension isn't extreme, then it sounds like you're close to max'ing out the bobbin capacity for both of those wire gauges. If so, the typical result = hot with flubby lows and very rolled off highs

Comment

Not counting turns, as the counter I've ordered isn't here yet. Both bobbins are pretty full; I doubt you could get much more wire on each.

We'll see tomorrow when I get it installed and start playing with it; if there's interest, I'll post some clips, so long as you promise not to judge my crap-ola playing too harshly.

Larry

Comment

Ha ha ha! Please post clips. I'm actually really curious to see what you "wind" up with here!

Comment

Yas
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                  Not counting turns, as the counter I've ordered isn't here yet. Both bobbins are pretty full; I doubt you could get much more wire on each.
                  To obtain that with the DCR that you mention, it appears necessary to lay almost 3000 more turns (or at least 1/3 more wire) on the 44 AWG side than on the 42AWG coil, in my understanding.

On this basis, the humbucker effect should be only partial.

If the pickup was tested with an exciting coil, it should exhibit a double resonant peak (as long as the coils are excited separately and not altogtether as done by some online testers).

It should clearly affect the harmonics and, albeit a bit less, the dynamics (but these factors also depend on other components so it's not a "prediction": just a guess).

Put the same number of turns on the two bobbins and you'll have a DiMarzio Dual-Resonance emulation... https://patentimages.storage.googlea.../US4501185.pdf

Let us know how it sounds. Guesses are always shots in the dark. :-)
                  Last edited by freefrog; 01-25-2020, 06:52 AM.
                  Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

My first attempt to wind a pickup was to a achieve 10k Brobucker clone. Before that i practised with only with a nylon string.

I used 42 awg poly and got a 10.6 k with a A5. It was cearly not in PAF realm anymore, a bit too compressed and muffled. I fooled around with different magnets (not having an A8 at that time and hating ceramics) i ended up with a double thick A5.
                    I think your pup will be similar, but having the awg44 coil even stronger.
                    2 remarks: Put the stronger bobbin towards the bridge. If it vastly overpowers the 42 side, you also could wind it down - just by hand.
                    Last edited by hamerfan; 01-25-2020, 10:45 AM.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Well, got it installed into my 'test sled', a basswood bodied, maple neck/rosewood fretboard single HB guitar with a 25 1/2" scale. Here's a clip through Line 6 Gearbox/Audacity (my only recording setup as of now) without any post production. I used three of my most-used patches; a clean 'Fender', a boosted 'Plexi' and a boosted 'JCM800', all set as I normally would for my other guitars. As mentioned, I can't play to save my life, and this was really just running through as wide a variety of sounds as I could, so take that into account; a good player would certainly make it sound better.

It's...different. I'm going to have to play it some more to really develop an opinion, obviously, but it's less dark than I thought it would be, and sounds better clean than I anticipated it would.

Larry

Edit; it seems SoundClick goes on to play other clips from that link; as soon as the backing track starts, it's no longer the test pickup.
                      Last edited by larryguitar; 01-25-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                        Well, got it installed into my 'test sled', a basswood bodied, maple neck/rosewood fretboard single HB guitar with a 25 1/2" scale. Here's a clip through Line 6 Gearbox/Audacity (my only recording setup as of now) without any post production. I used three of my most-used patches; a clean 'Fender', a boosted 'Plexi' and a boosted 'JCM800', all set as I normally would for my other guitars. As mentioned, I can't play to save my life, and this was really just running through as wide a variety of sounds as I could, so take that into account; a good player would certainly make it sound better.

It's...different. I'm going to have to play it some more to really develop an opinion, obviously, but it's less dark than I thought it would be, and sounds better clean than I anticipated it would.

Larry

Edit; it seems SoundClick goes on to play other clips from that link; as soon as the backing track starts, it's no longer the test pickup.
                        That bad, huh?

Larry

Comment

I think the pickup sounds good! Although it is a little hard to tell when there is nothing else to compare it to. How does it compare to any of your other pickups?

Btw, the way you go on I thought your playing was going to be truly terrible. It's not. Do you do that so that no one will criticize you? It sounds fine to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                            I think the pickup sounds good! Although it is a little hard to tell when there is nothing else to compare it to. How does it compare to any of your other pickups?

Btw, the way you go on I thought your playing was going to be truly terrible. It's not. Do you do that so that no one will criticize you? It sounds fine to me.
                            Thanks, Dave. Good point about the comparison; here's a Jackson (basswood body, hardtail, 25 1/2" scale, so pretty close to the test guitar) with a Duncan JB and using the JCM800 patch, the final one from the first clip.

I appreciate the kind words about my playing, but after hearing some of the players on this site, some *truly* gifted, I'm cognizant of the gulf between what I can do with a guitar and what a really good player can.

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

It sounds very good to me. I would play that. It has a lot of single coil character! More than I've heard from most production bridge hums.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X