banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental Custom Wind: Any Predictions How It'll Sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Experimental Custom Wind: Any Predictions How It'll Sound?

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    I think the pickup sounds good! Although it is a little hard to tell when there is nothing else to compare it to. How does it compare to any of your other pickups?
    I'm not larrygutar but being accustomed to Line6 Gearbox (which is the software in my old travel laptop), I hear what I expected: what Demanic characterized as "lots of weird top end due to the mismatch" and that I've described as a "double resonant peak" ; this double resonance is in my understanding what causes the pseudo "comb filtering" heard in the recording.

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    It sounds very good to me. I would play that. It has a lot of single coil character! More than I've heard from most production bridge hums.
    Yep. IMHO, the recipe evoked by larryguitar pushes the "unbucker" principle high enough to give two single coils in series rather than a humbucker. :-)
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Never heard an unbucker with a mismatch that great. The are mostly in the realms of 10 to 15%
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
        Never heard an unbucker with a mismatch that great. The are mostly in the realms of 10 to 15%
        Yes, that's why I've said that the result was closer to 2 SC's in series than to any humbucker. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
          So I've been winding some humbuckers lately just to experiment with different tones and have some fun. It seems like a logical extension of building guitars to take that last step and try to actually give them their 'voice.'

This one is a bit unusual: Slug coil wound with 44AWG PE wire to 11.5K, screw coil wound with 42AWG PE wire to 5.15K (total 16.7K), with an A5 magnet.

I'm using inexpensive kits from Amplified Parts, and they've been pretty consistent and easy to assemble; I've made a few functional pickups with some nice tones, just experimenting.

So I'm installing this in my 'test bed' guitar tomorrow, but I'm curious what folks suspect this will sound like? I'm just getting a feel for 'recipes' on this sort of stuff.

Larry
          As long as it doesn't sound like my Phoenix pickups, you'll be alright.
          Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_113225-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	5818078

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]103024[/ATTACH]
              That thing must be awfully hot if just sitting next to the meter gives that kind of reading!

Any specs or info about the 'Phoenix'? This is all about learning about sort of 'extreme' pickups at this point, after all.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                I'm not larrygutar but being accustomed to Line6 Gearbox (which is the software in my old travel laptop), I hear what I expected: what Demanic characterized as "lots of weird top end due to the mismatch" and that I've described as a "double resonant peak" ; this double resonance is in my understanding what causes the pseudo "comb filtering" heard in the recording.

Yep. IMHO, the recipe evoked by larryguitar pushes the "unbucker" principle high enough to give two single coils in series rather than a humbucker. :-)
                You know, that would sort of explain why it isn't as dark as I'd expected. And there is a sort of very subtle 'double-tracking' at times; I think that's what you're referring to a the double resonant peaks?

Larry

Comment

That thing must be awfully hot if just sitting next to the meter gives that kind of reading!
                  Lol!
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Any specs or info about the 'Phoenix'? This is all about learning about sort of 'extreme' pickups at this point, after all.

Larry
                    Haha, the meter has a hold button.

It's pretty bright but, at the same timenot overly so.

Not too different in feel to the Custom 5.

I have sold a few of these, would you be interested in buying..?

Do you have any ideas for others or are you doing one-off..?

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      Lol!
                      What is hot is United. 5-0 up and it's not half time yet. Soccer.

Comment

I was expecting pretty dark/muffled, but it sounds quite clear/cutting. My preference is towards pickups with more high end, and using the vol/tone knobs to control it . . . I'd rock that pickup quite happily.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          . . . I'd rock that pickup quite happily.
                          If you'd like to buy one, we can sort that out. If you'd like any other custom humbucker, send me your specs and I'll get it made.

Comment

deleted
                            Last edited by ToneFiddler; 01-26-2020, 12:59 PM. Reason: too late. joke done already

Comment

You know, that would sort of explain why it isn't as dark as I'd expected. And there is a sort of very subtle 'double-tracking' at times; I think that's what you're referring to a the double resonant peaks?

Larry
                              Yep, the double tracking effect is probably due partly to the dual resonant peak. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                                If you'd like to buy one, we can sort that out. If you'd like any other custom humbucker, send me your specs and I'll get it made.
                                Unfortunately, I've got no guitar to put it in. My only humbucker equipped instrument at the moment is my Epi Dot . . . and it would take a lot to convince me to kick the Seth/'59 combo she's had for the past 15 odd years out of it.
                                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X