Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: String gauge comparison....

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    When I hear people playing 11s and up, their bends and vibrato always sound stinted. They never quite reach the note.
    You need to listen to better players.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      You need to listen to better players.
      I do. And they use lighter gauge strings. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

9's on 25.5", 10's on 24.75", heavier for my guitar that stays permanently in D standard. It's all about the feel: too heavy and it slows down your left hand; too light and it neuters your right hand.

If you're so worried about tone that you're willing to sacrifice your playing, you need to reassess your priorities and maybe get a new amp.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
          9's on 25.5", 10's on 24.75", heavier for my guitar that stays permanently in D standard. It's all about the feel: too heavy and it slows down your left hand; too light and it neuters your right hand.

If you're so worried about tone that you're willing to sacrifice your playing, you need to reassess your priorities and maybe get a new amp.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
          Very well put. Couldn't agree more
          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

My apologies for bringing up an older thread, but there was a thought that struck me some time back, at a time when I was too busy to visit forums, that I would like to add:

I see that there are a few people here who say that the strings lose bass and/or output when lighter strings are used. Is the change, in our opinion, merely a matter of loss, or is something audible also gained, which one would gradually lose by using heavier strings?

Comment

New video out, now on acoustic strings:

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                New video out, now on acoustic strings:

This should be interesting, I’ll watch tonight.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I liked the light guage strings for finger picking, and the heavy ones for strumming on that particular guitar. But that's on that guitar. My experience has been that different acoustics seem to behave differently with strings . . . some seem to sound better with lighter strings, some with heavier.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Heavier strings, in my experience, are louder on an acoustic
                    They produce more vibrations and thus move more air

The lighter strings, conversely, are softer

My Hummingbird came with 12s and was a rocker
                    It was also harder to play with it's high action and taunt strings

The 10s made it much easier to fret and also made the action more reasonable

The volume of the guitar went down noticeably

If that is what is being refered to as tone, then yes big strings big tone

And like Steve said, it's much better for fingerpicking
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                    X