banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone having quality control issues with Jackson guitars recently? (Soloist)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone having quality control issues with Jackson guitars recently? (Soloist)

I looked at a couple of Jackson Pro Soloist SL2 at the Sam Ash, they look alright, I'm not too impressed with the finishing for a guitar that is almost $1,000. I checked some reviews in the Guitar Center and other pages and they don't seem to be that great. I love ESP, their customer service has been great to me and the guitars are pretty much flawless on the finishing in the 700-1000 price range at least, but they don't have what I want at the moment.

I wanted a neck through with a ultra thin neck, passives and a floyd with a metal look. Jackson's neck seem to be the best and I really wanted to have that compound radius neck since playing fast solos is mostly what I do.

Just wondering what are your recent experiences with Jackson's?
    Last edited by Edward203; 01-25-2020, 01:25 PM.

Re: Jackson quality control pro-Soloist

Soloists are Made in Indonesia, right?

I'd take MIM and MIC over that tbh. The Mexican Jacksons and Charvels I've tried have all been great

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Re: Anyone having quality control issues with Jackson guitars recently? (Soloist)

At the risk of sounding like the grumpy old man I am, I'd suggest having a look for a '90's MIJ Jackson. I've owned 10 or so, and they're uniformly high quality, with excellent fretwork and necks. They can also still be picked up for stupidly low money is you keep your eyes out.

Larry

Comment

Re: Anyone having quality control issues with Jackson guitars recently? (Soloist)

II've picked up two Pro Series models in the past few years, both made in Indonesia. Great guitars, but expect lack of attention to details. Overall nicely built, fancy hardware and PUPs, but the freteorks is meh, at spots where it is hardly accesible (eg where the fingerboard meets the body) the finishing touches are also meh. Sad but true. My experience with X Series is far worse. In perspective the Pros are great guitars, just unfishihed products. Fret polishing, maybe some spot leveling and a good setup gets you a great instrument at the threshold of what is reasonable to be paid for a production model of any origin. Kinda sad, but true. Actually what made it a slight bummer for me was that I had overly high expectations. Go into the deal eith lower expectations, expecting minor imperfections and you'll be happy. They have no structural hiccup or stuff that cannot be fixed in the confines of a proper and thorough setup. Also, finding a guality used one is a great option too, as ithers have mentioned. If you're lucky, you can even find USA models well below 2000. Keep in mind though that you'll probably have to go over the same work (or even more) as in the case of the Indos. For example I picked up a used Japanese Dinky. It is a great guitar, it was well kept and regularly maintained, frets leveled and crowned. But during the 10+ years of maintenance and levelling, the frets turned from jumbo to medium, so it is being refretted now...

Comment

As a general rule, i just plan to have to do minor stuff to any Indo-made guitar when I buy it. Fret polish/level, re-solder and wire, filing down spurs on the edges of the fret wire - stuff like that. That being said, I'm not paying over 1k for an Indo-made guitar. Anything around $800 or so, I'm looking South Korea. That's not to say that Indonesia can't make good instruments - they absolutely can. But its far too hit and miss for me to spend that sort of money on.

For your budget and what you're looking for, have you spent any time with Schecter's guitars? The Sun Valley line in particular is great for the money and definitely falls into your asks, but Schecter in general is a great place to look for shreddy guitars that won't annihilate your bank account. Their build quality and QC is consistently good as well. They're not all passive pickup configs, but that's not a costly mod, and with the several hundred you could save, it's doable as well.
          Last edited by gh0styboi; 01-28-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Schecter has tons of stuff that would be up the OP's alley. The Banshee line has that ultra-thin C neck, passives, compound radius, and now comes in a bunch of different shapes, with and without Floyd Rose. Ditto SLS Elite "Evil Twin".

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
              At the risk of sounding like the grumpy old man I am, I'd suggest having a look for a '90's MIJ Jackson. I've owned 10 or so, and they're uniformly high quality, with excellent fretwork and necks. They can also still be picked up for stupidly low money is you keep your eyes out.

Larry
              Ditto.

I have mostly USA or MIJ Jacksons and Charvels. All great quality. I have not interest in modern ones when great classics can be found.

Comment

Working...
              X