LAST DAY -- new song WIP demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAST DAY -- new song WIP demo

Okay, here we go again! Dying Sun is written and recorded, so onto the next song! This is also a multi-part concept based on one of my favorite movies, Logan's Run.

For me, starting a new song begins with picking a key or tonal center, starting tempo, and time signature. For the first part, I also wanted to try a Steve-Reich Violin Phase inspired synth section.

Here's my proof of concept demo:

This motive uses two identical voices panned hard left and right with nearly identical timbre. For one of the voices I remove 4 clock ticks so that the last 16th note is 20ppq instead of 24ppq; this makes it slightly faster than the other side. As the motive plays, they grow increasingly out of phase until it reaches 180 degrees, and then the slowly shift back into phase and are rhythmically locked for a moment before drifting again.

Both voices on this demo are from a Studio Electronics Quadnic into an Intellijel Quadra/Quad VCA and WORNG Sound Stage mixer; delay and reverb is from a BOSS RV-500.

I like this basic idea and shall be exploring it more as I develop the introduction further.

As ever, any and all feedback is welcome!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: LAST DAY -- new song WIP demo

This is a very cool concept, but I do have some constructive criticism -- the refrain sounds quite close to the game of thrones theme, and the phasing only starts to sound cool at a couple points, when the parts have drifted to the point of sounding like there are twice as many notes. If it were me, I'd capture those parts and use them as samples to start a fresh project. Much of it sounds unavoidably jumbled. I wonder if this experiment would work better with sustained tones instead of staccato?
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Thanks for listening. This is proof of concept only, not finalized in any way. It's also just one layer, there will other voices added to this as it develops.

Comment

Cool -- yeah, other voices would probably help the less immediately pleasing bits sit in the background.
        Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
        Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
        Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
        Marshall 1960a
        Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Yeah, I’m not ‘sold’ on anything here besides the actual concept! Having feedback helps make the tracks stronger and reinforce my stance or change it, so thanks for taking the time out, I appreciate it.

Comment

There actually is a way to make the NerdSeq phase drift be much more gradual and granular, but I’ve not had time to try it yet. The downside of modular synths is that you need serious time to explore, which for me generally means weekends. That’s why it takes months to get the sound design finalized with the Soundtrack Machine, one change could take hours to push past or recapture...

Comment

The intro to Last Day took another step forward. There is a LOT of synthesis and processing going on with the drone. It is comprised of 4 VCOs tuned to an Em7 chord being faded in and out via vector synthesis (WORNG Electronics Vector Space); the modulation created is very musical and complex. The VCOs are combined through a quad VCA and the mix out goes through a strymon AA.1 and into a BOSS RE-20 Space Echo pedal, then back into the modular via a Doepfer SEM filter; the cutoff and resonance of the filter are being modulated from the Vector Space as well. Playing along with that is a synth line from the TX7, which is going through a TC Electronic MIMIQ to create a stereo synth from the mono output of the TX7.

This is much closer to what I envisioned for the first motive. There are still a bunch more layers to add, but it's definitely one step closer to being ready!

Comment

Making good progress on this piece. First 8 minutes or so is blocked out, just gotta complete the instrumentation now. Playing live over the synths that are running at slightly different speeds is very difficult! It does my brain in. I love how you are listening to the same 4 notes but their phase relationship creates all sorts of auditory illusions -- in some spots it sounds like 6 notes, 2 notes in other. Wild stuff!

Comment

You are amazing, when do you sleep lol

Very cool, I am blown away how prolific and varied you are
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                    You are amazing, when do you sleep lol
                    LOL, what's this sleep you speak of?!

Very cool, I am blown away how prolific and varied you are
                    Thanks, that's very much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                    X