Jubilee to Plexi tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jubilee to Plexi tone

NE, I agree about LLL, if anyone would know, def him.

Between here and a few other things Ive read, I think I will venture to a plexi toned pedal. Have a couple in mind, but want to do more checking before I commit to one or the other. I guess, in hindsite I probably should of just started looking for a plexi in a box first as I really dont to mod the amp itself, love the SJ as it, was thinking/looking for new variation of what I already have.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      Oh I have an original 1987 Silver Jubilee, it sounds amazing.

Congrats on your new amp and welcome to the club.
      Thanks. This (Canada) combo has way more gain than my (USA) 2550 head had. Other than a lack of choke, and that this one is a made for Canada model, they're basically the same amp. My 2550 was a 1988 model, so it has all the factory revisions. I ran JJ, Tung-sol, and Mullard V1... I don't recall any change in distortion level. On this one, there's audible break-up with the preamp set to 1. My 2550 sounded fairly clean at that setting. On the combo, the pull to "rhythm clip" setting sounds stellar! It was good on the 2550, but not like this.
      Last edited by 67Mopar; 01-27-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I bought it used in the mid 90s, had the tubes changed then, Ive considered just flat out retubing the amp, at least the preamp tubes. Not that I play out, its just me playing it so it really doesnt get a chance to get loud w the wife and kids at home. A tube is an easy mod if I want to try it. Someone else earlier in the thread mentioned a lower output preamp tube. May look into that and see what happens but also as said above, maybe better off with really good plexi in a box pedal.
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Removed stupid question.
          Last edited by 67Mopar; 01-27-2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Ask anyways, that way we can make fun of you
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Ask anyways, that way we can make fun of you
              I was wondering what sound a PIAB pedal would based on (clean or distorted), but then I considered my TBIAB pedal... It sounds darn close to a VOX, so I'll assume the plexi pedal sounds equally close.

Comment

The couple Ive looked at seem to be a good representation. Obviously, you get what ya pay for but then again there are some really good inexpensive pedals out there
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

My 8 knob Menatone TBIAB does some convincing Marshall tones, as well as VOX.
                  Last edited by 67Mopar; 01-28-2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Continued... I can't speak for the X models, but, there's nothing "modern" sounding about the '87-'90 Silver Jubilee amplifier. I'm not a fan of modern gain, and I have three 'bought and sold' Soldano SLO 100's under my belt to prove it. I tried to love the sound, but alas... it was not to be. Since I have a spare 4x12 SJ cab, I'm interested in 2555X.

Comment

You know there is also an SJIAB available. From what Ive heard it sounds pretty good. Now I could be wrong about that but based on the clips I heard, sounds pretty good. Agreed, classic Marshall tone for the time it came out.
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I have played SJ's since the 80s. But it took me a some time to discover that that they love vintage output pickups and are more versatile with them.

The SJ will do very good classic Live at the Fillmore Allman Brothers tones, which is as classic plexi as plexi can be, and it will do Warren Haynes era Allman Brothers too. Great amps. But they played through alnico speakers instead of ceramic speakers, like most reference plexi tones.

Mopar, I have both the 2554 and the heads too. Yes, I think your correct that the 2554 has a bit more gain. Mine is a USA model. The 2554 tone belies its size. It sounds pretty big through that tiny cab. Also I know you like Guytron or something speakers with your Ampegs. Have you tried those with the Jubilees?

Comment

... I've owned many Marshall amplifiers since 1978. IMO, the Silver Jubilee is the best sounding MV amplifier that Marshall has ever made. MV is spot-on, tone controls give incredible control, effects loop is the best in the biz, 1/2 power has variac-like response, bass stays tight - yet musical. A fabulous amplifier! I sold my Cornford MK, and Bogner 100B, after playing a 50 watt '87 Silver Jubilee.
                          Great description, Mopar!

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                            I have played SJ's since the 80s. But it took me a some time to discover that that they love vintage output pickups and are more versatile with them.

The SJ will do very good classic Live at the Fillmore Allman Brothers tones, which is as classic plexi as plexi can be, and it will do Warren Haynes era Allman Brothers too. Great amps. But they played through alnico speakers instead of ceramic speakers, like most reference plexi tones.

Mopar, I have both the 2554 and the heads too. Yes, I think your correct that the 2554 has a bit more gain. Mine is a USA model. The 2554 tone belies its size. It sounds pretty big through that tiny cab. Also I know you like Guytron or something speakers with your Ampegs. Have you tried those with the Jubilees?
                            Agreed. I'm getting plexi tone out of the 2554 in-spades! All I can say in defense of my head, is that it wasn't operating properly. It was the only SJ that I had ever owned, so that's how I judged the SJ line... Obviously, I was wrong. Some work was done on the head, prior to purchase, so who knows? It always made popping/white noise sounds through the speakers that I was never able to ID. In retrospect, I think it was a failure in the PI value and/or valve socket. The noise did not increase with volume, so I left it alone.

I have not yet tried, but I do have 1 x 8 Ohm Guytron Bigtone 55 speaker in my Ampeg 1x12 cabinet. It is a closed-back cabinet, so I'll need to open it to get an idea of how it would sound in the 2554 cabinet. IMO, the Guytron BT55 speaker sounds like a tighter Alnico Blue. Some might consider it an improved Vintage 30 type speaker? As I understand it, the Vintage 30 was intended to be a high-watt "Alnico Blue" type speaker, that didn't quite hit the mark.
                            Last edited by 67Mopar; 01-28-2020, 10:31 AM.

Comment

You know there is also an SJIAB available. From what Ive heard it sounds pretty good. Now I could be wrong about that but based on the clips I heard, sounds pretty good. Agreed, classic Marshall tone for the time it came out.
                              I tried the Alexander Jubilee pedal. Sounded good.

Comment

Yep thats the one, only SJIAB Ive seen. Seems folks either really like the SJ or they dont, there doesnt seem to be much middle ground love for it.
                                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Working...
                                X