Help old dog learn new trick: lower tuning/diff string guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help old dog learn new trick: lower tuning/diff string guage

I'm doing a project where I'd like to use a lower tuning (not my typical M.O., but I think it will fit the project).

I usually tune to E flat with 10's (LP) and 9s (strats).

I think I want to go down to at least D, and perhaps C#. I don't want crazy low, but lower than my typical.

I'm guessing I'll need to set up an axe for that specific tuning, as well as change my string guage.

What string guage should I be considering that would be a natural transition from 10s?

I guess I'm going for a slightly earlier DM sound/current thrash (first couple Arch Enemy albums, recent Carcass album, newer testament & exodus).

Re: Help old dog learn new trick: lower tuning/diff string guage

Meh, I have 11's on my D Les Paul. I think there might be a thread out there arguing we were putting to much emphasis on heavier strings for our down tuned instruments.

Edit: sorry lots of balls in the air today, but I should have added that a setup for any different tuning is a good idea. I normally use 3 LP's. One setup for standard, a second for D and a third for drop D. They are all setup for those particular tunings.
    Last edited by JamesPaul; 01-25-2020, 08:02 PM.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I bet you can get there with 11s or 12s
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I'd say .11 would be fine (bottom strings dependent on whether the guitar is Fender scale or Gibson). No need to go super-heavy on string gauge.

Comment

i go up a size for every full step down usually -so D Standard is 11s and C standard is 12s. because of the tension loss, they will feel a size smaller.

but you don't have to -guitars can be set up lighter.

tuning down an acoustic to C standard with regular 13s phosphor bronze is a great experience BTW -the sounds are so much bolder and richer.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I tune to Drop C with 10-46 strings on a 25.5" scale guitar just fine. I tried using 11's, but I thought they sounded crappy when trying to palm mute....they didn't have any definition.

Comment

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...uge-comparison
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                i go up a size for every full step down usually -so D Standard is 11s and C standard is 12s. because of the tension loss, they will feel a size smaller.
                Question: are you talking Gibson scale or Fender scale? I feel like on a Fender scale, I'd be more likely to increase the upper-string gauges per step or half-step, whereas with Gibson I would do it more for the bottom-string gauges. Like, for example, for a guitar tuned to E flat, 11-48 on a Gibson, and 10-52 on a Fender.

Comment

11 - 52 works in standard D and drop C#.

But I just don't like the feel of the plain 18 (and especially its unplugged sound... But well this meant to be plugged )

For standard C you need something thicker like 12.

But actually you hard to try to decide what suit you the best.
                  Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

but you don't have to -guitars can be set up lighter.

tuning down an acoustic to C standard with regular 13s phosphor bronze is a great experience BTW -the sounds are so much bolder and richer.
                    This works really well, a whole gauge per whole step down. Now with 9.5s and 10.5s you can even do half gauges for half steps.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                    X