banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neck for shredding: Jackson / ESP / Ibanez /Schecter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck for shredding: Jackson / ESP / Ibanez /Schecter?

Hi,

Over the year and a half I've owned my ESP KH-602 I have gotten really comfortable with its shape and its neck, this is a neck through guitar with a "extra thin U" neck at 350mm radius. I have another neck through ESP which is 305mm "thin U" not extra thin, just thin U. The difference between them is just 1 millimeter but I felt the difference without knowing the exact measurement. After playing with it a little more I'm surprised that 1mm could make a difference for the long stretches when doing hammers and pull offs; my KH602 feels noticeable thinner and easier to play, but I keep thinking it's just one millimeter.

Anyway, I was thinking about trading the one with the "thin U" for a Jackson with the compound neck. I also mentioned Shecter because the Reaper model has a extra thin C shape neck with the neck through built.

Do you stick to one type of neck for your shredding guitar?

I wonder if I will eventually get used to the one that it is a tad thicker and I shouldn't get rid of it, other than that I really like it.

Thanks!

Re: Neck for shredding: Jackson / ESP / Ibanez /Schecter?

I'd think 1 mm is not a good reason to get rid of a guitar you otherwise love. You'll adjust to it. If you find yourself not ever playing it, then sell it and play the one you like.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really don't much care as long as it's comfortable in a way tbh

My no. 1's neck.

I have no problems playing fast on this guitar, or on one of my Ibanez or Jackson I sold.

So I'd say stick to what *feels* great, and always try before you buy/trade

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Not that I can shred for anything, but to me neck shape -- U, C, D, V, and their variants -- is more important than a 1mm difference between thin and ultra-thin. I get with D and U necks very well, C necks are good to me but perhaps not quite as playable as the first two, and I can't vibe with Vs at all, since I'm a thumb-on-back-of-fretboard player. I agree that getting rid of a guitar you like for 1mm seems like a bit of an overreaction. But at least you're self-scouting for any future purchases!

Comment

I don't know, man. I've seen dudes shred on baseball bat necks. It's all about what's comfortable to you. I mean look at Richie Kotzen. The neck on his guitar is like the body of a small boat, and it doesn't slow him down. Go with what feels best to you, man. There's no real rulebook for this.

Comment

I'm digging USA Jackson necks for shred these days! But everyone has different preferences and sized hands

Comment

Love Ibanez RGs. Perfect for me. I have long fingers and skinny hands though.

Comment

The Wizard Ibanez type necks make my fingers cramp up when playing chords or rhythm at all . . . dunno about other people, but I don't seem to magically play lead any faster just because a neck is thinner either.

Things that make a guitar fast feeling for me:
                - Low action
                - Dunlop 6100 or bigger frets
                - Easy upper fret access (you should be able to comfortably play the 18 - 22 frets without bending your wrist at a funny angle, or having to reach at a weird angle)
                - rolled fretboard edges and good fretwork
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

A scalloped board seems to help me.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a Schecter V1 FR that has excellent sustain and good crunchy tone I love. But when I would gig with it, because it’s got a thicker neck, by the end of the night my fret hand was really tired and I would start playing sloppy. I started bringing my ESP LTD EC-1000FR Which has a much thinner neck (especially in the up 20s frets) and finish the night with it. I would switch on and off. I would keep one in standard and one in E-flat. So maybe hold onto yours? But at the end of the day do what you think is best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Edward203 View Post

Do you stick to one type of neck for your shredding guitar?

Thanks!
                      No !

Originally posted by Edward203 View Post

I wonder if I will eventually get used to the one that it is a tad thicker and I shouldn't get rid of it, other than that I really like it.

Thanks!
                      I guess you will get used to it if you keep it and play it a lot.
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

The only trouble with big U shape necks is for thumb grip.
                        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I'd think 1 mm is not a good reason to get rid of a guitar you otherwise love. You'll adjust to it. If you find yourself not ever playing it, then sell it and play the one you like.
                          Yes, you will adjust to it if you play it often.

Yesterday, I had some time to kill so I killed some time at a guitar shop. They had two new production Charvels. I was pleasantly surprised that the neck was not at all too thin. Much more meat than an Ibanez. They reminded me of my early 80's Charvel as far as feel. Playability is great with those but they had more substantial necks than a lot people think. The ebony fretboard new one had a rather thick slab of ebony too.

Comment

For me a neck on a guitar makes all the difference. Don't care how good it looks or sounds if the neck doesn't feel right in my hand it's just not a guitar I will play.
                            My neck preference is a slim D with a wide flat board. Favorite necks are the Carvin Kiesel profiles from 93 to 95 and the new thin profile the Washburn USA second gen MG necks and PRS Wide Thins.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Peavey Vandenberg USA for me. I think 24 frets helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X