Source for unoriented ceramic magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for unoriented ceramic magnet?

I’ve been considering an unoriented ceramic magnet for my pickup after using A5 and A8 mags and not wanting a regular ceramic. The A5 isn’t quite powerful enough, the a8 isn’t bright enough and has a slight clang, and the regular ceramic is a bit too harsh and edgy. After hearing some examples online, I feel that the unoriented ceramic allows a solid bottom, good attack, healthy output, and enough treble to brighten things but still have a touch of warmth to keep the highs tamed with enough body. It’s possibly the closest to the Goldilocks spot as I’ll get with this pickup.

Addiction-fx used to carry an UOC8 but now only lists the regular ones. Is there another place that offers them?

Re: Source for unoriented ceramic magnet?

I’ve never heard of such a magnet, and I’ve been buying ceramic magnets for the past 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
      I’ve never heard of such a magnet, and I’ve been buying ceramic magnets for the past 15 years.
      I guess you never asked!

I've sampled from Addiction FX's UOC8 batch, and to me it sounded pretty close to a regular ceramic, just with a lot less output.

The attack and articulation were also softer than your regular ceramic. As I couldn't figure out a specific use, I ultimately didn't buy the batch, and Addiction FX didn't offer'em again.

/Peter
      Last edited by Discharged; 01-26-2020, 12:32 PM.
      Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
      Kolding, Denmark

Comment

I buy magnets in bulk from the manufacturers. They don’t list any such magnet.

Do a Google search and Addiction FX is the only source listed. I think those were probably just a lower grade of ceramic magnets.

[edit]

Ok, after doing some digging, what they are, as I suspected, is C1 grade isotopic magnets. Personally if I wanted a weak magnet I’d go with Alnico 2 or similar. I only use C8 magnets in pickups.

“To enhance a ceramic magnet’s performance, the ferrite compound may be biased by a magnetic field during the pressing process. This biasing induces a preferred direction of magnetization within the magnet, significantly reducing its performance in any other orientation. Consequently, ceramic magnets are available in both oriented (anisotropic) and non-oriented (isotropic) grades. Because of its lower magnetic properties, the isotropic grade of ferrite, ceramic 1, is typically utilized where complex magnetization patterns are required, and in process biasing would be cost prohibitive.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X