banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD single coil closest to JB Strat noiseless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD single coil closest to JB Strat noiseless?

I recently got a Strat with a Dimarzio Area set, which I don’t really like. Compared to my Jeff Beck Strat they sound thin and lifeless. What SD sound most like the JB noiseless circa 2010? I’m more interested in the neck and middle as I may do a HB in the bridge.

Re: SD single coil closest to JB Strat noiseless?

Do you have any specs for that particular pickup? I remember at least some of the JB strats had a Lace Gold in the bridge, but I don't know the specific year. Do you want this replacement pickup to be noiseless, too?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It’s not lace sensor, I think N3, the current version. Noiseless isn’t a requirement as I don’t tend to have a big issue with SC noise

Comment

Do you know the specs of that N3 pickup?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks to Wikipedia:

---
          Hot Noiseless
          The Fender Hot Noiseless™ Strat® Pickups[12] are a ceramic version of the original Fender Noiseless pickups. Ceramic magnets are quite strong and as such are normally hotter. They produce pronounced mids and a quick bass response. The strong magnets allows the pickup to retain articulation and clarity, even when introduced to extreme gain.[13][14]These pickups are identified by the word "Noiseless" in silver cursive on the aged white pickup cover, just like the Vintage Noiseless. However, they can be distinguished by the fact that all pole pieces are flat (non-staggered). Hot Noiseless™ Strat® pickups have been standard on the Jeff Beck signature model since 1998, but were never available on the American Deluxe. They are still available from the Fender Custom Shop.[15]Features include:

Ceramic magnets
          Polysol-coated magnet wire
          Flush-mount pole pieces for every string
          Vinyl-coated output wire and plastic bobbin
          DC Resistance: 10.4k (Neck/Middle/Bridge)
          ---

I never noticed that these were flat pole, but can confirm. From what I recall about the literature I thought the bridge was supposed to be hotter, maybe not.

Comment

Funny I was just looking up the differences between flat and staggered pole the other day, and came away thinking that flat wouldn't be for me, but I like these, so maybe they are.

Comment

Working...
            X