banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cheap amp solution: miked mini amp or pedal amp simulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap amp solution: miked mini amp or pedal amp simulator?

hello there!
    looking for a cheap solution to play with an improvised band of friends. I'd like to play straight to the mix but trying to get a good preamplification.
    I was wondering if I'd get a better tone with a miked mini amp or with pedal amp simulator (ie. digitech cabdry or mooer micro preamps) straight into the mix.
    thanks very much!

Re: cheap amp solution: miked mini amp or pedal amp simulator?

Probably the amp sim, mic'ing a small low volume amp will probably result a lot of bleed from drums and other instruments, ambient noise, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      Probably the amp sim, mic'ing a small low volume amp will probably result a lot of bleed from drums and other instruments, ambient noise, whatever.
      actually we just have a voice other than my instrument in the mix.... logic suggests mic'ing is a dirtier way to carry a sound signal than with a pedal but I have to say I was impressed when I first tried my crap 15w Fender amp straight to the mix...

Comment

The pedal will be easier, more portable and should sound a lot better. Look at the AMT preamp pedals.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

What amp do you have. I’m old school, mic a real amp, but depends on what it is. You said “Crap 15 watt Fender”?

Comment

Originally posted by t1r12003 View Post
            What amp do you have. I’m old school, mic a real amp, but depends on what it is. You said “Crap 15 watt Fender”?
            I had in my mind to buy a good sounding mini amp like orange or vox.. anyway someone suggested me a DI box would be better... don't know really....

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
              The pedal will be easier, more portable and should sound a lot better. Look at the AMT preamp pedals.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
              really i don't need that to be portable. the main thing is the sound

Comment

I'd use something like a Tech 21 Fly Rig pedal. They aren't crazy expensive, and it is perfect for these kinds of things.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I'd use something like a Tech 21 Fly Rig pedal. They aren't crazy expensive, and it is perfect for these kinds of things.
                  uuh man ahah. that's way more expensive than using a di box or a pedal... I'm talking about pedals which cost max 100 bucks. the mooer preamps can cost 50 bucks sometimes and they sound really good.
                  also I think that with 350 dollars it's way better to buy a combo amp than using that thing

Comment

I've usually been more impressed with cheap amp sims than the sounds you get out of mini amps.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Small cabs sound small. I have an Orange PPC112 which is one of the better-regarded small cabs, and it still sounds pretty boxy under the mic.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

REALLY? My Mesa Boogie 1/10 Subway Rocket combo close miced on stage with a Beta 57 at super low volume so---.
                        Last edited by Ascension; 01-27-2020, 09:53 AM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by sansa View Post
                          I had in my mind to buy a good sounding mini amp like orange or vox.. anyway someone suggested me a DI box would be better... don't know really....
                          That's the way to go. This is a Mesa Boogie 20 watt 1/10 Subway Rocket combo miced with a Beta 57 at super low stage volume. The little Subway Rockets have been out of production for years but you can find a nice one in the $400 to 550 range used if you look. Best small grab and go gigging amp I have ever owned! Small light bullitproof reliable and they sound AMAZING! Only effects here are the delay and verb in the loop with a wah in the front and I never leave the crunch channel just roll the volume back and lighten my touch to clean up.
                          Last edited by Ascension; 01-27-2020, 10:27 AM.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

uuh man ahah. that's way more expensive than using a di box or a pedal... I'm talking about pedals which cost max 100 bucks. the mooer preamps can cost 50 bucks sometimes and they sound really good.
                            also I think that with 350 dollars it's way better to buy a combo amp than using that thing
                            really i don't need that to be portable. the main thing is the sound
                            Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I've used all the above and all are great, the Mooer preamps are smaller than the AMTs, not following your logic there though. The Fly Rigs are great, and have effects built it, and FWIW, can sound way better than a cheap combo. Of course, you'll still want something to it through, be it a clean combo, or a small power amp and cab unless you are running direct all the time. The AMTs and Mooers sound great too, I actually like them better than the Fly Rig, but they are dry, you'll probably want to add some at least some reverb unless you just like a totally dry sound.

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            REALLY? My Mesa Boogie 1/10 Subway Rocket combo close miced on stage with a Beta 57 at super low volume so---.
                            Guess we need to define "mini-amp", based on the OP's posts, I'm going out on a limb and saying that is out of his price range. FWIW, I don't really consider that a "mini-amp". Not to mention, with a DI solution, you aren't at the mercy of a soundman that may or may not know how to mic a speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                              Small cabs sound small. I have an Orange PPC112 which is one of the better-regarded small cabs, and it still sounds pretty boxy under the mic.
                              Is that so? The little tiny 20 watt Boogie 1/10 Subway Rocket combo Beta 57 close miced only effects are the verb in the loop so---.
                              Last edited by Ascension; 01-27-2020, 10:53 AM.
                              Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X