banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cheap amp solution: miked mini amp or pedal amp simulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cheap amp solution: miked mini amp or pedal amp simulator?

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    Guess we need to define "mini-amp", based on the OP's posts, I'm going out on a limb and saying that is out of his price range. FWIW, I don't really consider that a "mini-amp". Not to mention, with a DI solution, you aren't at the mercy of a soundman that may or may not know how to mic a speaker.
    I'd call a mini-amp something with a speaker smaller than 8".
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

FWIW, there is an Amplifirebox for sale in the Trading post now, they sound great, but you do need a PC to edit the presets. It is more than $100, as most full solutions will be.
      Last edited by devastone; 01-27-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        Is that so? The little tiny 20 watt Boogie 1/10 Subway Rocket combo Beta 57 close miced only effects are the verb in the loop so---.
        Yeah, but he only wants to spend $100.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Yeah, but he only wants to spend $100.
          Was talking in the $350 range on a combo that's doable.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            Was talking in the $350 range on a combo that's doable.
            He was saying the Fly Rig was $350 (the V2 is $299 new, used ~$250 or less), not sure if he was saying he would spend that.

Comment

There is a trade of in the cheapest way to do something and the best way to do the same thing

Cheapest would be an amp modeler into a mixer/PA
              You'll want the cab sims with the amp sims

I have the Joyo British and American pedals
              Which are the clones of the Tech21 sansamp pedals
              For Marshall and Fender style preamps

They sound good but no one is gonna mistake them for an amp in the mix
              And you'll need to add reverb and effects to make them flesh out

I have a guitar amp model built in to my Behringer XAir its alright as well
              Sounds nothing like any real amp
              But if my amp died during a show I could fall back on it

I have a Digitech GNX3000 which was the flagship Digitech modeler some years ago
              The smaller RP series will fit in the OPs budget

A modeling pedal would get him all the things he wants in an inexpensive package

Mine has built in drum loops and a Microphone input that acts as a.mixer as well

If the OP wants to back up a singer with an inexpensive setup and they already have access to a PA
              Then a modeler would be the way to go

$100 would get a good used one
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I got a Zoom G1 Four for Christmas, mainly to use for headphone practice. I also tried direct to my EV ZLX12P and was surprised how good it is for a $80 toy. Would take it anytime for jamming with friends if they have a PA. I'm liking small and battery operated.
                If you want a cheap amp to mic you can try a Boss Katana 50w, it's $229. And you can even go direct to PA if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  I've usually been more impressed with cheap amp sims than the sounds you get out of mini amps.
                  Originally posted by turcmic, post: 23546027, member: 77019
                  Maybe you can tell us what you already have ie amp, pedal, PA. etc and budget. The REDDI is a fabulous bass DI but 775$ for jamming with friends into a 100w PA might be a little overkill :thumbsup:
                  ok guys I read something about PAs processors and sound geek stuff these days. I will describe the situation to make you understand the jam sessions we are in to understand what's the best option.

I have a 100w rms pa, 2 passive speakers, a cheap beringer xenyx mixer and that's it. the sound is really dirty.

these days I discovered the "send/return" function. I usually use 2 mics and a bass right now but I'd like to add a guitar to the mix (linked from the line out guitar amp). what I'd like to do is link through send/return something that will clean up the sound.

I was reading about some cheap options that would bring the whole thing to a higher level. something like art tubepac seems the perfect choice to have a compresspr/limiter/preamp all in one.

what's your opinion?
                  Last edited by sansa; 01-29-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

If you have a crappy "end of chain" device ( your PA mixer )
                    Noting you put " front of chain " will fix that

Your Behringer should be fine
                    What have you got for speakers
                    Powered PA speakers of some kind?

If you have un powered speakers
                    What is your power amp?

I would start at the end of chain first

Good powered speakers
                    Then good mixer

The mixer should have decent preamps to give you a neutral coloring that you want

Then build the chain back from there
                    EHD

Comment

100W PA is probably not enough if you have a drummer. It's probably dirty because you are running it at it's limits, or, you have really bad speakers that can't handle that little power.

FWIW, my JBL EON610s are powered speakers, 1000W each, not because you ever need that much, but they have tons of headroom.

I understand being on a budget, but it also pays to do some research to see what you need and be ready when a deal comes along.

FWIW, if the line out on the guitar amp doesn't have some kind of speaker/cab simulation on it, it will sound really bad straight into a PA.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        If you have a crappy "end of chain" device ( your PA mixer )
                        Noting you put " front of chain " will fix that

Your Behringer should be fine
                        What have you got for speakers
                        Powered PA speakers of some kind?

If you have un powered speakers
                        What is your power amp?

I would start at the end of chain first

Good powered speakers
                        Then good mixer

The mixer should have decent preamps to give you a neutral coloring that you want

Then build the chain back from there
                        Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        100W PA is probably not enough if you have a drummer. It's probably dirty because you are running it at it's limits, or, you have really bad speakers that can't handle that little power.

FWIW, my JBL EON610s are powered speakers, 1000W each, not because you ever need that much, but they have tons of headroom.

I understand being on a budget, but it also pays to do some research to see what you need and be ready when a deal comes along.

FWIW, if the line out on the guitar amp doesn't have some kind of speaker/cab simulation on it, it will sound really bad straight into a PA.
                        it's enough volume. it's an fbt 100w rms. we put it at half volume..speakers are one fbt passive speaker 200w rms (12" woofer + neodinium tweeter) and one cab hand made with a full range 225w rms (beta 12lta by Eminence)

so no way to clean up the sound?
                        Last edited by sansa; 01-29-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

we cant see the knobs or tell what dirty sound is like

you may just have something set too high

set all the knobs at noon

set volume at minimum

slowly turn up till it distorts or whatever the offending sound is

we just cant fix it from here

pictures or sound clips

did you say one speaker is home made

take it out

is the mixer powered?
                          EHD

Comment

If the sound coming out of the speakers is "dirty", something is clipping. You are hitting the preamps on the mixer too hard, you are pushing the power amp too hard, or you are overdriving the speakers. You could be sending too much signal from the mixer to the power amp and causing clipping on the inputs of that, so just setting the volume on the power amp is only a small part of the story, probably better to set the volume on the power amp high and control the volume from the output of the mixer.

Comment

Agree with the above. Turn everything down to low . . . play something on your guitar. It should sound pretty clean coming out of the amp. Slowly turn things up one at a time until you find where the distortion is coming from. Once you find that you can figure out a way around the problem.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I used my Orange Micro Dark on a Sabbath tribute gig last year, and it sounded massive. The PA did the heavy lifting and the amp provided more than enough volume onstage.
                                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
                                X