Ultimate HSH Wiring Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate HSH Wiring Challenge

I have a challenge for anyone who enjoys putting wiring diagrams together.

What is the most versatile wiring scheme for a HSH pickup configuration using the following specs?

1 V, 1 T (Push Pull optional)
    3X3-03 Freeway 6 position switch (https://www.freewayswitch.com/products/)
    1 mini-toggle (optional)

Pickups:
    Bridge - '59/Custom Hybrid Trembucker (https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup...rid-trembucker)
    Middle - Custom Stack Plus (https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup...ack-plus-strat)
    Neck - '59 Neck (https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/59-neck)

I was thinking of using this HSH diagram from Freeway, but wondering what additional options I might gain by adding a mini-toggle and/or push pulls:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 2.23.28 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	5853402

It would be great to not only get Les Paul sounds, but coil split LP sounds, all 5 Strat positions, a Tele sound (bridge SC + neck SC), and all 3 pickups on.

Considerations: I want to avoid 'dead spots' in the switching and it would be ideal to have most positions be noiseless (not sure how phasing affects stacked middle pickup, coil splits, etc.).

Maybe I'm asking for too much? Or maybe it's just a matter of getting creative. Hopefully you all have some clever ideas.

Cheers!
    Last edited by dhsned; 01-26-2020, 03:35 PM.

Re: Ultimate HSH Wiring Challenge

Welcome to the forum!

You would also gain many combinations with a set of Triple Shot rings for the humbuckers.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

out of phase is the easy one to add to this. The red/black wires on the neck or bridge pickup on the diagram (black/green on a seymour duncan). However it'll only work in position 2. A standard blend seems kind of pointless. Not very much I can think of. Parallel is a difficult and probably impossible one to add onto this. Maybe a larger or no capacitor to switch between on a tone control to raise or lower the resonant peak. Either way nothing to scream about really.

With a strat as I've got the most real estate and don't mind drilling into one with three pickups it's pretty easy to get in the 100s for tones.

a standard 5 way blade
      series, 2 types of coilsplits, parallel per pickup
      something I call super out of phase
      blend the neck pickup in to any position (similar to the 7 way mod)

how I'd do this is with
      3 push pull pots
      3 DPDT ON/ON mini toggles
      5 way blade
      and i doubt it would fit but a 4PDT switch
      it would take forever and if i was to build this for someone I'd use all the same color of wire
      Last edited by shadowfire90; 01-27-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Forgot to mention. If you don't want to wait look up Suhr HSH wiring diagrams. Heck, email their customer service and they'll give them to you for free. I bought and use their pickups, but I don't believe that's a requirement.

Anyway, I just finished an HSH project last weekend, and it turned out great. I have the neck and bridge humbuckers wired series/parallel, auto split with the middle in positions 2 and 4, and have any combo of series/parallel Neck & Bridge together in the middle. This is in a Tele body and uses a Super Switch and two push pull pots. All the tones are usable, and even better, all the tones are hum free.

Comment

Somehow my first post didn't post.

I emailed with Alistair at Freeway. He is releasing a 10 way HSH specific switch very soon. He had it at NAMM so it's just a matter of time until he updates the website. I'd sit tight until we see what he's come up with.

Comment

Working...
          X