Roughcast UOA5 vs. Roughcast A5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughcast UOA5 vs. Roughcast A5?

How much of a difference? Enough to even bother?

Re: Roughcast UOA5 vs. Roughcast A5?

IMO yes, enough of a difference to be well worth consideration.

I've found the contrast between polished and rough A5s to be pretty minimal, limited only to the high treble - a little less sparkle, perhaps a subtle hint of graininess.

UA5 however has a personality distinctly different from A5. Warm-yet-crisp highs and richer mids. Lows are balanced but less punchy, perhaps not quite as deep. A more vintage voicing with a slightly looser feel overall. Its attack is altered too - less aggressive. Sometimes described as having a bit of A2 in its character.

I've found UA5 to be perfect for my taste in several different bridge pickups.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
      IMO yes, enough of a difference to be well worth consideration.

I've found the contrast between polished and rough A5s to be pretty minimal, limited only to the high treble - a little less sparkle, perhaps a subtle hint of graininess.

UA5 however has a personality distinctly different from A5. Warm-yet-crisp highs and richer mids. Lows are balanced but less punchy, perhaps not quite as deep. A more vintage voicing with a slightly looser feel overall. Its attack is altered too - less aggressive. Sometimes described as having a bit of A2 in its character.

I've found UA5 to be perfect for my taste in several different bridge pickups.
      Agree. In the few humbuckers I've tried it in, it is miles ahead of any A5 I've ever used. I'm not sure I entirely agree with those who say it's like the best of an A2 and an A5, but I get where they're coming from. Really, it's just a fantastic magnet in its own right.

It really woke up the 498t/490r set in my 1993 Les Paul. Just fixed everything people don't like about that set and made it all good.

Comment

Roughcast vs Polished is less of a difference than UOA5 vs oriented A5, so YES...worth the bother

Comment

Originally posted by David Garner View Post
          Agree. In the few humbuckers I've tried it in, it is miles ahead of any A5 I've ever used. I'm not sure I entirely agree with those who say it's like the best of an A2 and an A5, but I get where they're coming from. Really, it's just a fantastic magnet in its own right.

It really woke up the 498t/490r set in my 1993 Les Paul. Just fixed everything people don't like about that set and made it all good.
          Interesting. That speaks directly to my question as the 498t already has rough cast a5.

Are you guys using long or short uoa5?

Comment

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
            Interesting. That speaks directly to my question as the 498t already has rough cast a5.

Are you guys using long or short uoa5?
            Mine have been long ones from AddictionFX.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              Mine have been long ones from AddictionFX.

Same.

Comment

Working...
              X