banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I got this Vox AC15CC1....anyone else had one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I got this Vox AC15CC1....anyone else had one?

It seems to be kinda not so loved......but I'm digging the trem/reverb and getting a bit of a smokey kind of overdrive out of it. I'm not real familiar with a standard AC15......am I just missing out on the real deal or what?

Re: So I got this Vox AC15CC1....anyone else had one?

I love Vox tones, I've been using them a lot since I got my Kemper

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
      It seems to be kinda not so loved......but I'm digging the trem/reverb and getting a bit of a smokey kind of overdrive out of it. I'm not real familiar with a standard AC15......am I just missing out on the real deal or what?
      Well, it depends what you mean by “real deal”? Are you talking AC15 Hand-wired? Vintage? AC30?

As a Brit based in the US, I can tell you that the AC (whatever) is the most under appreciated amp family state-side. It generally gets written off as a “Beatles thing” (much like Rickenbacker guitars) which totally ignores the impact it has had on the history of recorded music.

It’s definitely it’s own “food group” alongside Fender and Marshall.

In terms of tone, keep it simple with the CC1 - use it as a pedal platform through the normal channel, or dial in some hair on the top boost. On TB channel, reduce Bass and Treble together to let some mids through (Vox is mid-scooped similar to Fender, but at a different frequency - understanding that is part of “getting” this amp).

The CC1 has Wharfdale speaker (I think?) - if so, do consider trying a Celestion Alnico Blue or similar - not essential, but to my ears it’s THE speaker for the AC range.

Finally, look up “bright cap mod” for Top Boost channel - on my AC30CC2X, I snipped that and it made the TB channel much more usable/pleasant.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you! Appreciate it. I've read all about the speaker swaps. The celestion blue or even an emi red fang cost about as much as the entire amp though.

Comment

I had a VOX AC15.

I got more compliments after shows for my tone with that amp than any other.

I sold it only because I'm going to be living in an RV in a couple of years and have to get down to the smallest and most versatile of amps -and the VOX really does a few things incredibly, but others not at all.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
            Thank you! Appreciate it. I've read all about the speaker swaps. The celestion blue or even an emi red fang cost about as much as the entire amp though.
            Yes, they do - I have both (the Red Fang in both 10” and 12” options) - but then I’m have Alnico speaker tone in my DNA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

They're not 'under-appreciated' in the US, they're just almost exclusively used by church bands.

Cool amps though. Every guitarist needs a vintage-style amp with reverb and trem, and the Vox line gets that natural overdrive a bit easier than Fenders.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I wouldn't describe the VOX as strictly "mid-scooped"... not at all.

"Overall, think swirling, earthy, 3D sound with great note separation, and a bouncy yet taut and percussive feel to the low end, without the amp ever feeling flubby. The mids and top end have a velvety sparkling overtone and the speakers feel as if they are tied to your guitars strings, but with the perfect amount of give.

Treble set near 12:00 is a pretty neutral voicing for the amp. Go a little above 12:00 and it brings in a quacky upper midrange prominence that's very distinctive. Around 2:00 or so it starts to scoop the mids out and get very glassy and bright. Some people love that sound, as you can tame it with the cut control if you need to.

Back the treble off below 12:00 and the TB will enter semi-normal channel territory. The mids take over even more and the overdrive takes on a voicing that's even slightly Marshall-esque, while still retaining a Voxy feel. The bass knob affects the mids as well, but acts on the lower register in extreme settings.

This is all relative, as there are now many different AC-30 iterations. But in my case, i'm describing the classic early 60's 6-input top boost, which is mirrored in many clones, and Vox's own AC-30TB and AC-30TBX models from the 90's and early 2000's.

Great amp. My favorite. I will never not own an AC-30. There's just not a bad sound anywhere in the amp. It lets every guitar shine through while still adding its own unique sonic signature, and is so useful in so many styles of music. Not many other amps are so at home in a range as wide as (for example) The Beatles, The Byrds, Tom Petty, The Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Finch, U2, etc. The amp can do pop, rock, hard rock, country, blues, and more, and pull them all off extremely well. It works with nearly any guitar and any style."

-Nick
                Last edited by 67Mopar; 01-28-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

the handwired stuff is great once you get used to the controls. the cc stuff is good too but not really the same. the ac15cc1 is the top boost channel with a mv but still sounds like a vox. fun amp though and if you like the cc, youd like the others

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    the handwired stuff is great once you get used to the controls. the cc stuff is good too but not really the same. the ac15cc1 is the top boost channel with a mv but still sounds like a vox. fun amp though and if you like the cc, youd like the others
                    this was what i was hoping for. I didn't really get the difference between the CC and a standard AC15.

Comment

Try the AC15 Heritage w/EF86 channel.

Comment

Working...
                      X