Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Epiphone Les Paul 8 string..?

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Gibson's economic problems never came from lack of sales. They came from overpaying management and underpaying workers.
    And suing anybody who repro'd their shapes.
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
      I can't see the utility of it. Simply adding strings isn't a sound strategy because you're just magnifying inherent weaknesses. The tension of the 7th and 8th strings would be poor, the tension of the 7th and 8th strings would make the action higher on the other strings, intonation with a 24 3/4in scale neck would be poor, and scaling up a 6-string pickups to 8-strings would mean the pickup may not efficiently reproduce the guitars extended frequency range. So you need to design a new instrument with a scale length which works and design new pickups to faithfully reproduce the extended frequency range.
      That would be the need for the 28" scale.

Epiphone did a baritone Les Paul some years ago which was 28", I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        I too wish large corporations would build one off instruments that appeal to a minority of players
        And would sell them at cost to me

So I could benefit from their loss

Gibson is in the business of producing what appeals to the mass consumer
        They want to sell many units at a lower price point
        Or few units at a higher price point

Their is no benefit in selling few products at bargain prices
        It isn't for me exclusively. To be frank, if a company doesn't make what I want, I make it myself but, for those who just want to pick up their desired setup from their favourite brand, it should be done.

It's part of being a company. You give your customers what they want - even if it's a limited edition.

Please tell me what justifies the sale of a Les Paul for £8,000+ compared to one that sell for £750. I make a pain of myself in music stores spending hours playing each guitar trying to find the difference and (with 18 years playing experience) I find no difference that justifies that much of a price tag.

The same goes with Fender. Why would anybody buy a Relic..? Call me crazy but, I like my guitars to look pristine not look like they'd been dragged around the M25 and then, chucked in a skip.

If I did, I'd go to the nearest skip and simply take it out, freshen it up, put new strings on it and away I'd go - for free. Not pay £3,500 in a shop.

Gibson and Epiphone could do a lot worse than do a budget line to test the water. If it doesn't work out - they drop the model. if it does, bring out some higher level Korean models.

BC Rich are doing that now - we await the results of that.

'Gibson is in the business of producing what appeals to the mass consumer' - they are. They are producing reasons to buy Ibanez.

They've got to do something or go out of business. The same goes for Fender.
        Last edited by DeathMetalRob; 01-28-2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

They aren't going out of business anytime soon
          And certainly not because they wont make the 8 string LP

If you want one so bad
          Check out Aliexpress
          There are Chinese builders who would love to make you the one off
          8 string of your dreams

I've done this several times

I hate the switch placement on an LP
          So I get it moved
          I get extended cutaways
          Tummy cuts
          Chambered / hollow
          Special bindings
          Offset dots

Unique headstocks with straight string pulls

You can have what you want

Just if you're expecting Gibson to make you one, it gonna cost ya
          Their custom shop will do it I'm sure
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
            It isn't for me exclusively. To be frank, if a company doesn't make what I want, I make it myself but, for those who just want to pick up their desired setup from their favourite brand, it should be done.

It's part of being a company. You give your customers what they want - even if it's a limited edition.

Please tell me what justifies the sale of a Les Paul for £8,000+ compared to one that sell for £750. I make a pain of myself in music stores spending hours playing each guitar trying to find the difference and (with 18 years playing experience) I find no difference that justifies that much of a price tag.

The same goes with Fender. Why would anybody buy a Relic..? Call me crazy but, I like my guitars to look pristine not look like they'd been dragged around the M25 and then, chucked in a skip.

If I did, I'd go to the nearest skip and simply take it out, freshen it up, put new strings on it and away I'd go - for free. Not pay £3,500 in a shop.

Gibson and Epiphone could do a lot worse than do a budget line to test the water. If it doesn't work out - they drop the model. if it does, bring out some higher level Korean models.

BC Rich are doing that now - we await the results of that.

'Gibson is in the business of producing what appeals to the mass consumer' - they are. They are producing reasons to buy Ibanez.

They've got to do something or go out of business. The same goes for Fender.
            This is a silly line of reasoning. They sell those ultra expensive models because people buy them. They don't sell 8-strings because the people who want 8-strings buy Ibanez or LTD. LTD wishes they could sell $8k models but they don't, so they make 8-strings.

They DO have a budget line. It's called Epiphone. The 7-string Les Pauls flopped. Sorry
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I would think there would be a boatload of used 8 strings from many other companies these days. 10 years ago, extending the range was more popular than it is now, and many boght guitars they found out they didn't play much. So they are out there. But for now, an 8 string is sort of a specialty instrument, but many companies out there still offer them. They don't sell as well as 6 strings, so that is why you have a high price.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Les Paul 7-string didn't sell well, and it probably didn't intonate all that well, either. An 8 would not be so good unless they did it at least 27" scale.

Comment

Here's a budget friendly one

They'll so different colors if you want

You gonna change pickups anyways

#Aliexpress US $169.40 23%OFF | good quality mahogany solid wood 8 string electric guitar
                  EHD

Comment

Here's a budget friendly one

They'll so different colors if you want

You gonna change pickups anyways

#Aliexpress US $169.40 23%OFF | good quality mahogany solid wood 8 string electric guitar
                    https://a.aliexpress.com/_s4gXVf
                    Except Aliexpress is cheap, Chinese crap.

Comment

Epiphone is made in China
                      EHD

Comment

Yeah, but it's still not as bad. Aliexpress will actually make you a copy of an Epiphone or Gibson (or any other brand manufacturer) and put a fake logo on it (with fake Duncan or EMG pickups) to make you think it's something that it's not. Unless you like playing fake crap that's paraded around to look like the real deal, avoid at all costs.

Comment

You don't have to have the fake logos on em
                          I dont on mine

I have my logo

My daughter's

You obviously have no experience with them at all and are relying on internet blog opinions to form your nonsense

I have several and they are on the same quality level as Epiphone or any other manufacturer

The electronics are less expensive
                          If you ask for upgraded tuners. They will make them better
                          EHD

Comment

I would absolutely avoid any fake anything out of China. Sure, get your own logo, and tell them what to build. But the 1:1 fakes of well-known brands usually has someone coming on to the forums saying they should have just saved and bought the real thing.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You don't have to have the fake logos on em
                              I dont on mine

I have my logo

My daughter's

You obviously have no experience with them at all and are relying on internet blog opinions to form your nonsense

I have several and they are on the same quality level as Epiphone or any other manufacturer

The electronics are less expensive
                              If you ask for upgraded tuners. They will make them better
                              The triple binding on those headstocks look a hell of a lot better than any epiphone LP custom I've played.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I got the bottom two first
                                And realized that I really didnt like the offset strings of the standard headstock

The last one I got had a more unique design with a more straight string pull
                                It's the one on top

It's not quite straight over the nut

There are some language barriers when talking to them
                                I'll have to make a more measured drawing on my next one
                                EHD

Comment

Working...
                                X