Help please - sometimes dead pickup reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - sometimes dead pickup reading

I'm trying to get a 3 single coil set working correctly, but I'm running into a problem.

One pickup, when selected with the 5 position switch, reads 0 on my meter. When I move the selector switch off of that position then I get the correct reading on the pickup. It doesn't matter if I measure from the solder blobs on the bottom of the pickup or at the switch the same thing happens.

So essentially it reads fine as long as it's not hooked up, but when engaged via the switch it goes dead. The other pickups don't have this problem. The 5 way is wired correctly. The problem is the bridge pickup with a bridge/middle tone mod jumper. Positions 1 and 2 kills both pickups.

This is a brand new switch and on the old switch the same thing happened.

What could be going on?
    Originally posted by Ball&Chain
    Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Re: Help please - sometimes dead pickup reading

When I am out of ideas the first thing I do is check the continuity of all places on the switch. A colder solder joint can happen. With copper shielding I always put clear tape around the 5 area the 5 way blade is going in and when I'm impatient I put it over the blade switch contacts too.

A cold solder joint using lead solder will be dull is what to look for. A good solder joint is shiny. Lead free is trickier to spot and I've had maybe one cold solder joint all year and I did at least 50 projects in my spare time last year (tons of tone chasing) so I'm not the person to ask.

however since you know the pickup is working. Start by de-soldering all the wires on the switch to avoid issues
    set the multimeter to the bridge position (1)
    hold one lead of the multimeter on "0" - this is the common as we know. Focus one at a time as both commons will get tested eventually
    now as you move from switch positions 1, 2,3,4,5 place the secondary lead on the multimeter to the other potential switch positions

on either type of 5 way blade this will help
    so as a refresher
    position 1 - just 1 and 0
    position 2 - 3 / 0 , and then 5 / 0 all the same color
    and so forth

I was having issues figuring out a super 5 way blade and long story short I cleaned off the old solder and put new stuff on all the contacts and didn't have an issue since. On 3 way blades or when two positions share a tone control I always try to add extra solder to say 1/3 or 3/5

hope I could help

Comment

Almost every time the phrase 'its wired correctly' crops up, almost without fail it is something in the wiring (be it where wires are located or quality of soldering) that does end up as the root cause.
      The fact that you have 2 switches (one being brand new) doing the same thing is even more evidence to suggest this.

So 3 possible options here:
      Physical location problem of connected wires.
      A problem with the quality of the join
      Solder has dripped/fallen somewhere else during the process and made a connection/short that is causing the issue.

Maybe you could post in focus shots of the switch from both sides so we can perhaps find what is the root cause here.

Comment

Assuming wiring is correct, are you sure any wires/solder points aren't touching the shielding?

Done that way too many times. Now I always do same as shadowfire: Tape around switch and cavity where it might ground out.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

"The 5 way is wired correctly." Not. I agree totally with Alex. There is a short, with wires and/or excess solder.

Pics are necessary.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If the guitar happens to be rear-routed (i.e., you can remove the control cavity cover with the strings installed) you can poke and pull at the various wires and connections to find out which one is intermittent. This is usually the fastest way to find a problem in your wiring or soldering.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
              If the guitar happens to be rear-routed...
              Probably not. It's 3 single coils...almost always attached to pick guard.

But, in any case, it is best that he disconnect everything, check each component, and then carefully and accurately rewire it...with no stray wires or large solder blobs.
              The OP hasn't replied yet, so we don't really know what's up.

Comment

Two different switches did the exact same thing in the same guitar? Then it’s the guitar not the switches. They’re touching ground somewhere when it’s all put back together. Either that, or it was simply wired incorrectly twice.

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Working...
                  X