Attempting First Recording this week - Questions on amp and mics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempting First Recording this week - Questions on amp and mics

Hi guys, I'm new to recording here. Attempting to to dabble in it for the first time this week. Just had some basic questions. First I'll tell you my plan.

Plan:
    I bought 2 Seinheiser E609 mics.

I have a 1x12 cab and a 2x12 cab (both from different amps running in stereo). My plan is to drape the mics over the 2 cabinets and have each 1 go to a separate channel on my audient interface.

Questions:
    So my main 2 questions are:

#1. Will using a 1x12 cab in conjuction with a 2x12 cab be an issue for recording purposes? Like will it just sound too different that you can't put the 2 signals together in a recording/mix? Any advice is appreciated on that front.

#2. There is a noticeable hum that comes from the speaker as I am using high gain amplifiers. It's nothing crazy, but it is noticeable. How do you guys deal with that when recording? Does it just not carry through the mic well so you don't notice it much, or do you use a noise gate to mitigate it? One thing I was thinking about is I do have a TC sentry noise gate. I could put my guitar directly into that and then go from there into the splitter I suppose. The noise isn't from a pedal or amp I don't think because when I turn the volume down on my guitar it goes away.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by chillytouch; 01-28-2020, 11:40 AM.

Re: Attempting First Recording this week - Questions on amp and mics

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to recording here. Attempting to to dabble in it for the first time this week. Just had some basic questions. First I'll tell you my plan.

Plan:
    I bought 2 Seinheiser E609 mics.

I have a 1x12 cab and a 2x12 cab (both from different amps running in stereo). My plan is to drape the mics over the 2 cabinets and have each 1 go to a separate channel on my audient interface.

Questions:
    So my main 2 questions are:

#1. Will using a 1x12 cab in conjuction with a 2x12 cab be an issue for recording purposes? Like will it just sound too different that you can't put the 2 signals together in a recording/mix? Any advice is appreciated on that front.

#2. There is a noticeable hum that comes from the speaker as I am using high gain amplifiers. It's nothing crazy, but it is noticeable. How do you guys deal with that when recording? Does it just not carry through the mic well so you don't notice it much, or do you use a noise gate to mitigate it? One thing I was thinking about is I do have a TC sentry noise gate. I could put my guitar directly into that and then go from there into the splitter I suppose. The noise isn't from a pedal or amp I don't think because when I turn the volume down on my guitar it goes away.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks guys
    1) . Use both, they will likely have things to offer to a mix together -make sure to move the mics around starting at the edge to cone and listening and moving it outward towards the dust cover -listen for what you like. Another thing to do is listen to mic at the hiss coming from the amp -when you move around the mic with hiss you can really easily tell when your getting the top end of the speaker versus a mid range band.

2) personally -first you want to make it as quite as possible -make sure AC power cables preferable do not cross low voltage guitar level, line level, or speaker cables, test different power outlets, turn off all lights, turn off HVAC and Washer/Dryer to find the culprit. Once you down to just inherit amp internal noise, then personally I would record it and then edit it out later in the silent parts -I wouldn't use a noise gate, hush pedal, etc on the way in -as those things contribute more noise on the signal (not the quiet parts) you don't need on a recording.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I agree with the above, but double up on guitar tracks for each cab so you have lots of mix flexibility. Also, I find it's helpful to do some "pre-mixing" during the tracking process by introducing a compressor on playback. Don't use super crazy settings -- presets, whether self made or straight from the factory are ideal. The point is that it's your most powerful tool for evening out dynamics and increasing the perceived volume and body of the recording, so if it doesn't sound reasonably good with your best compressor engaged, you might be better off re-tracking it than wasting time trying to polish a turd. For the noise issue, some daws can even detect the silent areas and let you fully silence them with a few mouse clicks. It's not perceivable in context when the amp is roaring. Noise gates make life easier for tight palm mute breakdown type of stuff but are kind of a tone suck, and it's still possible to silence those in-betweens manually.
      Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
      Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
      Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
      Marshall 1960a
      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        1) . Use both, they will likely have things to offer to a mix together -make sure to move the mics around starting at the edge to cone and listening and moving it outward towards the dust cover -listen for what you like. Another thing to do is listen to mic at the hiss coming from the amp -when you move around the mic with hiss you can really easily tell when your getting the top end of the speaker versus a mid range band.

2) personally -first you want to make it as quite as possible -make sure AC power cables preferable do not cross low voltage guitar level, line level, or speaker cables, test different power outlets, turn off all lights, turn off HVAC and Washer/Dryer to find the culprit. Once you down to just inherit amp internal noise, then personally I would record it and then edit it out later in the silent parts -I wouldn't use a noise gate, hush pedal, etc on the way in -as those things contribute more noise on the signal (not the quiet parts) you don't need on a recording.
        Thanks I appreciate the info.

I did end up mostly eliminating the hiss by flipping some switches on the ABY splitter.

Gave it a shot. What do you guys think? That was way more work than I thought it'd be lol. Also, the volume came out quieter for some reason too idk. But for a first try, does it sound kinda like you'd expect? I just played it through once and put the video recording of me playing it over it.

Cover Test

pictures of how I had it set up
        setup1

setup2

Comment

Both mics are on the very edge of a speaker, but the further away you place the mic from the center of the speaker, the less presence your recording will have. Too dead center can sound harsh, so you have to find the happy medium. If it sounds quiet to you, that's probably the first thing you should try adjusting. It also is hard to tell what your result was with the original playing underneath.
          Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
          Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
          Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
          Marshall 1960a
          Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by AmirH View Post
            Both mics are on the very edge of a speaker, but the further away you place the mic from the center of the speaker, the less presence your recording will have. Too dead center can sound harsh, so you have to find the happy medium. If it sounds quiet to you, that's probably the first thing you should try adjusting. It also is hard to tell what your result was with the original playing underneath.
            Well so I used a track without the original guitar playing for what I just linked, it's just keyboard, drums, and vocals from a cover band. I just put my guitar playing over it. or do you mean it's hard to tell with the other instruments playing?
            Last edited by chillytouch; 01-30-2020, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X