Mark V 35 vs Mini Rectifier 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark V 35 vs Mini Rectifier 25

Someone requested a comparison between my Mark V 35 and my Mini Rectifier 25 and I thought it was a great idea! Both amps are amazing but they have very unique voices and features. The dirtier it gets the bigger the differences are between the two. I love both so I wouldn't want to choose so luckily I don't have to

I did clean, crunch, rock, lead and metal-ish tones and I featured all the channels and modes (all on the highest power settings). I dialed all the tones in a particular way to suit the music of the segments but of course the amps are even more versatile than presented here. For example, I did a 'british' rock tone on the crunch channel but that channel is also great at high gain/metal.

So which one would you choose based on this comparison? The Recto has more low-end oomph and sounds more scooped like you'd expect from a Recto but the Mark has that nice articulate and tight midrange-y sound. The Mark V can be a bit more tricky to dial in because of all the variables and the way the tonestack works but it is more versatile because of that. It's hard to beat the tone of a Recto though...

Ok, enough talk for now, here is the comparison:
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Mark V 35 vs Mini Rectifier 25

Man, I much prefer the Recto in here. I like the attacky nature of the Mark V, but the Recto just overall sounded bigger and less EL84-y, LOL. I'm surprised, considering the Recto's power section is smaller. I guess I just prefer how the preamp is voiced.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      Man, I much prefer the Recto in here. I like the attacky nature of the Mark V, but the Recto just overall sounded bigger and less EL84-y, LOL. I'm surprised, considering the Recto's power section is smaller. I guess I just prefer how the preamp is voiced.
      Yeah the Recto sounds pretty huge! The Xtreme mode on the Mark has a lot more 'oomph' than the other modes. But yeah, I guess it's the pre-amp of the Recto that you're preferring indeed. The Mark is just pretty tight overall. Of course it's pretty flexible with the graphic eq but the low end slider tends to add a little bit too much low mids for my tastes. However, with more tweaking I could probably make it sound even fatter. That's the thing though, it really is a 'tweaker' amp.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

I was tweaking my amp for some good heavy crunchy tones on the Xtreme settings. These tones are kind of Metallica inspired for sure. Try these settings on your MK V and let me know how you like 'em! Btw, I used an LTD EC1000T Eclipse with EMG's (57/66)

Mk V Xtreme settings by Jon Symons, on Flickr

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Working...
        X