Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish required?

Hi all,

After trying different sustain blocks in different guitars I’m hooked. They really do add depth. On my newest block upgrade I found that the bigger block hits the body and forces the back of the bridge up. I’m considering taking the dremel and taking a little wood away so the bridge sits parallel to the body.

If I go ahead, do I need to finish where I removed wood? The body is alder.

Thanks all

Re: Finish required?

Alder is pretty stable wood, so I don't think you'd have to finish it.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't have any finish on 4 of my guitars and they haven't blown up yet.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        I don't have any finish on 4 of my guitars and they haven't blown up yet.
        Better keep them dry & clean.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

So don't jump in the lake or a garbage dump with them? Ok ya I think I'm good.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

To me, rubbing the surface with some oil one would use for unfinished necks sounds like a good enough solution. Maybe I should've formulated it as a question though...

Comment

It’s fine. People have had unfinished routs in guitar bodies for decades with no problems.

Comment

When we are talking about an area where the trem posts or screws around an area where hardware stability is needed. I can see some compromise in structural integrity. where you just exposed an area to humidity and more risk with the wood pores cracking/separating as a result. Not by a whole lot, but it's a remote possibility. Very very remote.

I would think about mixing some epoxy to smear over where you buzzed away. Just to give me piece of mind. It shouldn't take long if you use a 5 minute set.

In a matter of likelyhood, you're probably fine. But in my paranoid mind, I would need additional assurance..

Comment

A tiny bit of unfinished wood like that won't make any difference at all.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

you dont need a finish on a guitar but you will get sweat and grime in the wood. doesnt hurt anything, or at least hasnt on my esquire over the past 10+ years but it sure dont look pretty

Comment

Working...
                    X