• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me

hi I am Alessandro and I live in Italy.
    I love Duncan pu and in my guitar use only this
    sorry for my English
    in this moment I want use rails for the neck and custom 5 in my telecaster.
    telecaster custom because have1 volume ,1 tone and toggle switch( similar to les Paul)
    I can not find wiring diagram about prails/neck custom5/bridge
    its possible for me use volume and tone with push/pull
    thank for your help
    by
    Alessandro

Re: help me

The P-Rails can be more complicated than a normal 4-conductor humbucker. If you want to use a single push/pull control, you'll have to pick two of its functions and toggle between those. You'll need more complex switching if you want to use all the P-Rails options.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

thanks but I want use:
      neck single/p90/humb
      bridge single/humb
      Iam not interested use series/paralles

Comment

Which telecaster do you have?
        Squier or Fender
        I can draw you a diagram to help.

the switch can be different on Squier. This is why I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by cal45 View Post
          thanks but I want use:
          neck single/p90/humb
          bridge single/humb
          Iam not interested use series/paralles
          "Humbucker" is just a general term used to mean 2 coils wired together in such a way as to reduce hum. That can be either series or parallel. Humbuckers are usually wired in series but can be switched to parallel.

You can't get single(rail)/P90/humbucker selections in your P-Rail from a push/pull. You'd need a three position DPDT (on/on/on or on/off/on) to do that.

However, you can get split (single)/series (humbucker) in your Custom with a p/p.

Any reason you want to use a toggle switch (Les Paul type) instead of a blade switch? Using a Strat super switch could be a great way to get what you want and then some.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

the guitar is a custom tele that a luthier my friend built me. thank you for your answers that have clarified my ideas. I would like a scheme like this: neck prails p90 / humb and bridge humb / single with 1 push / pull tone 1 volume 1 toggle 3 ways

Comment

Thanks for your time and sorry for my english
              Last edited by cal45; 01-29-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

My tele is handmade and hava, 1 volume tone push/pull 3 Way toggle like les paul
                Neck 1 prails
                Bridge 1 humb custom 5 ( 4wire)
                I want if its possible neck p90/hum(prails)
                Bridge single/humb
                Thanks

Comment

As long as we can help.
                  Anyone on here who speaks fluent Italian? I will use google translate

Italian
                  Grazie. Questo mi aiuta a capire come aiutare.Con "3 way toggle" non ci sono molte opzioni. Rispetto all'interruttore della lama. Prima di disegnare un diagramma. Ho una domanda da porre agli altri qui. Una volta che conosco la risposta, disegnerò il tuo diagramma.

English
                  Thank you this iwll help me understand. With a 3 way toggle there is not many options. I'll ask the others a question before I draw a diagram to help you.

For the others on here.
                  Correct me if I'm wrong as I've owned maybe one set of P-rails ever and never mixed and matched them with other types of humbuckers. If you were to send the coilsplit from say the humbucker to hot lead instead of ground would you get the other coil as I imagine it's unlikely the current from the pickup would go backwards like "reverse wound". Not the best idea perhaps but it's thinking outside the box a little to get the ball rolling. If not what's an approach we could go with.
                  Last edited by shadowfire90; 01-29-2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

DiMarzio makes a 3-way toggle switch that's got a bunch of extra lugs on it that's like a super switch. I believe the model number is DP or EP1111, and it comes in the Ernie Ball John Petrucci models. I bought one years ago and had it installed in one of my guitars. I'm able to get the inner coils on together like Petrucci does when the selector is in the middle position. That switch, along with push/pull pots, should help you get what you need.
                    Last edited by Toejam; 01-29-2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

thanks you guys I waiting diagram

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
                        .... If you were to send the coilsplit from say the humbucker to hot lead instead of ground would you get the other coil
                        The P90 coil has the Black and White wires, and the Rails coil has the Green and Red wires. This is true for both the Neck and Bridge versions of the Prail pickups.

Sending the Finish wires pair to either Hot or Ground will work just like any other Seymour Duncan pickup (when Black wire is used as the Hot wire and Green as ground wire), i.e. routing the pair to Ground will leave the coil affiliated with the Black and White wires active (usually the Slug coil, but here, the P90 coil), and routing the pair to Hot will leave the coil affiliated with the Red and Green wires active (usually the Screw coil, but here, the Rail coil).

SO... given that the OP wants the P90 coil active when the Neck Prail is split, you need to route the Finish pair to ground for the Prail.

ADDITIONALLY, to provide humcanceling in Pickup Selector switch Middle Position with the bridge pickup's split coil: the *Neck* P-Rail pickup is designed by default as a RWRP pickup, because the assumption was most people would be using a SET of Prails and when coilsplitting the set, they would want either both Rail coils active or both P90 coils active, so SD/Frank wanted to make those particular coil combinations humcanceling for the user.

And since we know that the P90 coil is *North* magnetic polarity in the RWRP Prail neck pickup, when you do your coilsplit on the SD Custom 5 humbucker in the bridge, you will want to make the South coil of it (screw coil) as the active coil in coilsplit mode, in order to achieve hum-canceling for the OP when both pickups' splitcoils are active in Pickup Selector Switch Middle Position. Which means wiring the Custom 5 so that the South coil receives the Hot signal from the Jack before the North coil, so that coil is the one left active when the Custom 5's Finish pair of wires is routed to Ground in coilsplit mode.
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-25-2020, 12:51 AM.
                        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks very cool its possible have a diagram?
                          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cal45 View Post
                            Thanks very cool its possible have a diagram?
                            Thanks
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200204_010231.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	5818148

... but the Custom 5 pickup's wires need to be routed like the picture i circled in the diagram below. The explanation for this is covered in my prior post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200305_175659.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	5818540
                            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-25-2020, 12:54 AM.
                            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X