banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropped the SNS set in teh AE 185 today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped the SNS set in teh AE 185 today.

What a difference!! THIS is how this particular guitar SHOULD sound WOW!!
    Few surprises instantly and first was the clean tones. Almost Filtertron like in this guitar. The neck and middle neck tones are just super clear and articulate but not harsh or muddy was not expecting that! REALLY opened this guitar up and brought it to life. Over all its a very sophisticated and articulate tone sort of a cross between a Gretch and a 335. With gain it's big and smooth with incredible clarity a very articulate sophisticated shall we say polite tone. Can get aggressive if you really push it but over all a really nice sweet set up. Again was not expecting this . Will get more up after I get it into a band situation and hear it in the mix. So far absolutely blown away by this set up in this particular guitar!
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-28-2020, 09:19 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Dropped the SNS set in teh AE 185 today.

its a great set in the right guitar for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      its a great set in the right guitar for sure!
      May well be the unique active electronics in the guitar and the way it's constructed with this particular set up but boy is it ever a knock out. One thing I don't get is had a couple folk talk a lack of mids with the SNS set and sure isn't the case here! This isn't a high gain metal monster although with this neck it sure plays like one sounds more like a nice old Gretch Country Gentleman on a big dose of Steroids. Spent all afternoon dialing it in and just playing it. It's now a truly inspiring guitar that is much different than I expected.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Re: Dropped the SNS set in the AE 185 today.

Score another one for the A4.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

You hit the nail on the head, "polite tone". It sits well in a mix, though.

Comment

Here she is with the new set up and man you should hear this thing through that DC 5!!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	AE 185 new SNS set up.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	5818100
            Guitars

Comment

Re: Dropped the SNS set in the AE 185 today.

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Score another one for the A4.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
              Was already a fan in the neck as have an A 4 in the 59 in the neck on my USA Washburn MG 102.
              Guitars

Comment

Glad you like em bro!
                “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
                  Glad you like em bro!
                  Absolute home run in this particular guitar. Cleans were a huge surprise with the clarity in particular of the neck pickup. Don't know if it was the guitar itself or the active electronics in the guitar but the Hybrid Sentient set was very compressed and muddy in the AE. The SNS set on the other hand had meat but was very clear and defined almost has a Gretch with Filtertrons like quality to the tone now. Was not expecting that. I dropped the Hybrid/ Sentient set into my Carvin ST 300 today and it sounded nothing like it did in the AE so??
                  This set up just hit the right pickups in the right guitar sweet spot and that always is!
                  Will get clips up when I get the guitar in a full band situation .
                  Last edited by Ascension; 01-29-2020, 08:21 PM.
                  Guitars

Comment

On that guitar, can you disable the preamp? I was wondering how they sound without it vs with it.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      On that guitar, can you disable the preamp? I was wondering how they sound without it vs with it.
                      On the DC 400 with out the acoustic side yes you can but with the module and an acoustic side no. I intentionally wanted a AE 185 with the actives as the new ones don't have an active electric side. Reason being how you can blend in some of the acoustic side with the electric through a good clean amp. With the SNS set through the Mesa DC 5 clean that is jaw dropping on mine now, so good in fact I may abandon the idea of running the acoustic side direct. In particular running a 50/50 mix with just the neck pickup and the Baggs through the DC 5 clean sounds amazing!!
                      Funny thing is my DC 400 sounds fantastic with a Sentient Hybrid set in it and the active module. Should be basically the same system on the electric side on both guitars and my old Purple DC 400 with the acoustic system sounded just like my other DC 400 with the active passive so?? The AE is it's own beast it just sounds differently acoustically and plugged in than my other guitars.
                      I dropped the same Sentient / Hybrid set that came out of the AE yesterday in my Carvin ST 300 today and it's completely different. The Hybrid is now in that guitar open dynamic and punchy and the Sentient is big and round with out being muddy so just as they should be?? Still really want a different neck tone (SNS is what I'm looking at but considering dropping an A 4 in the Sentient) as now have 3 similar guitars with a Sentient in the necks but the pickup sounds good.
                      Last edited by Ascension; 01-30-2020, 08:24 AM.
                      Guitars

Comment

If you find something that works, don't go looking for a reason it doesn't! Happy it is the right combo.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          If you find something that works, don't go looking for a reason it doesn't! Happy it is the right combo.
                          Yes it is when you hit the right combo and dead on with when you get it right don't mess with it! I was totally surprised by this one as expected a clearer more open tone but not the Filtertron like chime with the cleans at all with this set up. Getting the guitar in a real band mix over the weekend is something I'm really looking forward to. That will really tell the tale. So far so good though in playing with tracks and such here.
                          This swap instantly transformed the AE from a pretty good but on the dark/compressed side pure blues guitar into a guitar that is a very versatile, sophisticated and unique sounding.
                          This makes this one now a potential forever keeper as it's super light ( she weighs just over 5 lbs !) plus plays like an absolute DREAM!!!
                          Last edited by Ascension; 01-30-2020, 08:38 AM.
                          Guitars

Comment

Can you compare these with Seth's or PG's? I know it's hard to put tone into words. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Can you compare these with Seth's or PG's? I know it's hard to put tone into words. Just curious.
                              The SNS's have a more open balanced and high fi tone than both. The PG set with the A2 is softer in attack rounder and fuller with more compression the SNS set will be much chimer and clearer with a quicker attack. The Seths will have more top and bottom but less mid the SNS is a lot more balanced less boom and sizzle with a softer attack and more mellow smooth and sophisticated tone. The SNS is very clear and defined much more so clean than both other sets you mention. The SNS is almost acoustic sounding across the board clean in particular in the neck and neck/bridge together tones than both the other sets you mention will be. I also like the tones with gain and the classic arena rock type tone claim is spot on.
                              This is pretty accurate of the solo tones I heard with these through my DC 5. Not super hot or compressed but VERY clear, clean, articulate, sweet and singing.
                              Last edited by Ascension; 01-30-2020, 06:53 PM.
                              Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X