Pickup Wiring Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Wiring Help Needed

Hey guys! This is my first post on the forum, and relatively new to guitar wiring (other than the basics).

So I have a question, I want to really Frankenstein out my strat. I have routed out the body so I can fit 3 humbuckers in there. Now, is it possible to have two completely separate single coils housed under one humbucker cover? If so, you could potentially have 6 pickups grouped in twos, disguised as 3 covered humbuckers?

Furthermore, could you wire each pair of pickups to a mini 2 way switch or 3 way switch, to control which of the pair is on?

I drew up a picture of my “idea”, and have it attached, feel free to give me any insight or call me crazy 😂

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Pickup Wiring Help Needed

Welcome to the forum!

This sort of thing can and has been done...this is what the Stag Mag pickup is, as well as the Fernandes Sustainer. The trick here is finding single coils that have the oval baseplate. Also, if you are not used to it, 2 single coils in series wired like a humbucker doesn't really sound like a humbucker- more like a thicker, wooly single coil.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

As a fan of single coils, I don’t think I’ll mind the different sound much! Thank you!

Now, what if you wired a single coil humbucker and a regular Strat pickup like that, interesting sound or mud?

And, would anyone know if a switchcraft 3 way on/on/on slider switch could be wired to act like a 3 way toggle switch or lever switch?

Comment

I could see a single coil sized humbucker in parallel with another single coil working. But both coils in series in series with the single coil will probably be mud. I think there have been a few companies who have made 3 coil pickups before.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I've been having some Frankenstein-esque ideas and needed validation.

Cheers!

Comment

If the switches for each set of pups was a DPDT on-on-on, you could choose either coil or both coils (in parallel).
            Using this diagram:

you would connect the hot wire from one coil to the left middle lug, and the hot wire from the other coil to the right middle lug. The top right lug would have a jumper to the bottom left lug and also go to its separate vol pot.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X