EQ Pedal Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ Pedal Settings

I came up with this one just now. Sounds filthy. My favorite toanz to go for so far are woman tone or grungy tone. metalchurch made me get an eq pedal and I'm so glad I did. It's essential for me along with tuner, overdrive, and reverb. What are some settings you like?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_220730.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	5853413
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: EQ Pedal Settings

Depends on the guitar, I have very specific EQ curves for Hollow and Semi Holly guitars where 400hz and 800hz are so key to getting the best possible tone on those. Depending on the guitar you will likely trim out some or a lot of 400hz or 800 hz

For most guitars overall my EQ looks like 100 (-3) 200 (0) 400 (+3) 800 (-2) 1.6 (0) 3.2 (+3) 6.4 (0) or like 2 sawtooth waveforms in a row.

looks kind of like this (ignore the numerical values)
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-29-2020, 04:33 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I kinda find that around the 900 - 1.8 kHz range is super important for guitar tone. Drop it too low and you lose all cut and definition in your sound . . . pump it up too high and all you've got is screech. Usually I'll keep things mostly flat except for sliders in that range when I'm playing with EQ . . . and typically only bump things +/-3 dB at most to make a lead part pop out a bit more, or a rhythm bit sit a tad further back.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        I came up with this one just now. Sounds filthy. My favorite toanz to go for so far are woman tone or grungy tone. metalchurch made me get an eq pedal and I'm so glad I did. It's essential for me along with tuner, overdrive, and reverb. What are some settings you like?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103070[/ATTACH]
        Looking at that picture I would guess you play at low volumes, at higher volumes you would probably want to cut the 100Hz range to tighten it up.

Comment

I like to boost 800Hz to tighten things up and give warmth.

(EDIT: In front of a tube amp, that is)
          Last edited by LLL; 01-31-2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

A few years ago, I bought the MXR 6-band EQ pedal. It was fun for an hour or two. Now it collects dust on the shelf. I prefer to shape my tone with careful pup selection. Even my amp tone knobs are straight up.

Name:	Bogner_tone.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	5818119

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              Looking at that picture I would guess you play at low volumes, at higher volumes you would probably want to cut the 100Hz range to tighten it up.
              Agreed, these settings would be a disaster through my rig.... but I run Hot all the way through.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My settings on my Katana. Subtle, but makes a huge difference towards sounding how I want to sound. My settings on the amp already are bass 3. mid 8. treble 9. presence 9.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                Last edited by BeKindRewind; 01-30-2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I might use a parametric on the channel of the PA system, but usually I can get the sound I want out of my rig without using a graphic. I also figured out that when dialing in any EQ over 15 minutes gets my ears really tired, and I can't tell what sounds 'better' to me.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    That would make mud in a live mix, the sound man would be pulling all that low end right back out.

Comment

^ Uh huh probably. I could come up with grungy sounds with less slop for a band setting. I do like slop tho. Here is my basic bass boost that I use most often.

Name:	Bass boost.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	5818133
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I might use a parametric on the channel of the PA system, but usually I can get the sound I want out of my rig without using a graphic. I also figured out that when dialing in any EQ over 15 minutes gets my ears really tired, and I can't tell what sounds 'better' to me.
                        Same. I don't live with it on. It's just another setting that I can switch on if I feel like it. Like my bass boost woman tone.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Some bassy settings.

Name:	eq.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	5818193
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Actually had to decrease volume for unity gain.

Last edited by Coma; 02-09-2020, 08:26 AM.
                            --------------------------------------------------------
                            1973 Aria 551
                            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Has anyone tried any of the programmable EQ pedals? Boss 200, Free the Tone, Source Audio, old rack units? Any others?
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X