Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Comparison/Recommendation - High Powered Greenback

Hello!

I picked up a EVH 5153 50 watt on a lark not really thinking I’d use it much since I’m not a metal guy really outside of Black Sabbath and Motorhead, anyways it has blown me away completely. On the lower dial of the blue and red channels this thing is chock full of amazing classic and hard rock tones, and all on a relatively inexpensive production amp. Anyways, I’m totally in love with it and it sounds amazing through my Fane loaded cab, but I didnÂ’t nearly love it as much through my V30 loaded one. I don’t really use that much anyways so IÂ’m thinking a swap for some greenbacks because I love those speakers and I don’t have any now. Since I’ll be loading it into a 2x12 and my amps are 30-50 watts i need something with better power handling and a bit fuller sounding since it will be a 212 vs a 412. I’ve narrowed down my search to the following

Eminence GB128
    Hellatone 50
    Splawn Small Block 55w
    WGS Invader 50w

And I wanted to see if anyone had any preferences or opinions. IÂ’m leaning to either the Invader, based on the clips IÂ’ve heard, or the Avatar-Fane M65 based on my love of other Fane speakers.

Thanks everyone!
    "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

Re: Speaker Comparison/Recommendation - High Powered Greenback

If you use a 50 watt amp with a 2x12 cab, you are good with 2 x 25watt speaker. You might not blow it full on, but lower wattage speaker sound much more free and with better response than higher wattage speakers. My recommendation is 2 wgs green berets or one beret together with a Fane. The combination of 2 different speaker gives you the possibility to choose between to tonal flavors when miked on stage.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by ebagjones View Post
      Hello!

I picked up a EVH 5153 50 watt on a lark not really thinking I’d use it much since I’m not a metal guy really outside of Black Sabbath and Motorhead, anyways it has blown me away completely. On the lower dial of the blue and red channels this thing is chock full of amazing classic and hard rock tones, and all on a relatively inexpensive production amp. Anyways, I’m totally in love with it and it sounds amazing through my Fane loaded cab, but I didnÂ’t nearly love it as much through my V30 loaded one. I don’t really use that much anyways so IÂ’m thinking a swap for some greenbacks because I love those speakers and I don’t have any now. Since I’ll be loading it into a 2x12 and my amps are 30-50 watts i need something with better power handling and a bit fuller sounding since it will be a 212 vs a 412. I’ve narrowed down my search to the following

Eminence GB128
      Hellatone 50
      Splawn Small Block 55w
      WGS Invader 50w

And I wanted to see if anyone had any preferences or opinions. IÂ’m leaning to either the Invader, based on the clips IÂ’ve heard, or the Avatar-Fane M65 based on my love of other Fane speakers.

Thanks everyone!
      Would suggest you look hard at the 75 watt WGS Retro 30 also. Bigger fuller and tighter tones than the Invader I'm running them in several cabs right now. Really love this speaker with amps like the 5150 and my PRS MT 15 or Mesa DC 5.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I've got an Emi GB128 in a 1x12 open-back cab that I built & it's a killer speaker with a nice big fat juicy '3D' sound
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I'm going to have to second what hamerfan said. For a 50-watt amp, a 2x12 with Green Berets should sound very good. I ran that for a couple years until I went on a Vintage 30 kick, but I'd put it back in my cab in a heartbeat for a change of tone if the installation process were a little easier. Every once in a while, I go back to it.

Comment

Isn't that what the Creamback is supposed to be?
            And I'm not sure if it's like a Greenback at all, but I like the Emi C-Rex. 50 watts and great character. Maybe not quite as mid forward as a Greenback.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Isn't that what the Creamback is supposed to be?
              And I'm not sure if it's like a Greenback at all, but I like the Emi C-Rex. 50 watts and great character. Maybe not quite as mid forward as a Greenback.
              Celestion describes Creambacks as high powered greenbacks on their website. They also said so on an e-mail when I asked bout it. Never been able to A-B test live them but from demos the Creamback sounds like has bit less of high end.
              Who took my guitar?

Comment

The Creamback has more in common with the Heritage series Greenbacks or the EVH's than with the regular Classic series Greenbacks. They have the same cone. They're voiced pretty similar with the Creambacks being slightly bigger and more open-sounding.

Comment

Keep suggesting the WGS Retro 30 for that rig. Not as toppy as a green back but much tighter and has a really nice mid with an amp voiced like the 5153 is. Had several speakers I tried with my MT 15 and for straight up rock and metal my favorite by far was the Retro 30. Tried WGS Vet 30,ET 90, Retro 30, Cesletian GTH-30W, Vintage 30 and a GTH 75. The 75 was IMO the best balance between heavy stuff and cleans with a little more high mid and top but the Retro the better for the pure heavy stuff.
                  Here is a Retro in my Tweaker cab with my MT 15.
                  Last edited by Ascension; 02-04-2020, 04:04 PM.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Celestion Creamback or Scumback M75
                    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

My favorite speakers of all time are the original 25W Greenback, V30, and that newer Celestion 60W

Creamback is on my list to covet.

I'm never liked 70s or 75s etc except for making feedback.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Creamback is a great speaker.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Are you guys talking about the m65 creamback? The m65 is much more green than the h75.

Comment

Originally posted by ebagjones View Post
                            Anyways, I’m totally in love with it and it sounds amazing through my Fane loaded cab, but I didnÂ’t nearly love it as much through my V30 loaded one.
                            Ya, the 5153 does not play well with V30s. Unless you, for some reason, just love the feeling of an icepick repeatedly poking its way through your ear canal.
                            --------------------------------------------------------
                            1973 Aria 551
                            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                              Celestion describes Creambacks as high powered greenbacks on their website. They also said so on an e-mail when I asked bout it. Never been able to A-B test live them but from demos the Creamback sounds like has bit less of high end.
                              A little bit less highs than the standard G12M25 reissue is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X