banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonal differences between Dual Sound, PAF 36 Anniv. Bridge, Norton and Tone Zone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tonal differences between Dual Sound, PAF 36 Anniv. Bridge, Norton and Tone Zone?

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    I don't know anything about Saxon, but Glenn Tipton's Strat that he used from British Steel on has a Super Distortion (same as Dual Sound) humbucker in the bridge position.
    Yes, and also an SG with stock pickups. In the early 80s, Graham Oliver of Saxon used an SG and a Flying V, also with stock pickups.

Comment

Re: Tonal differences between Dual Sound, PAF 36 Anniv. Bridge, Norton and Tone Zone?

Tipton and Downing were using stock Gibson guitars in addition to the former's modded strat.

Randy Rhoad's LP Custom also hadstock pickups IIRC
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
        Tipton and Downing were using stock Gibson guitars in addition to the former's modded strat.

Randy Rhoad's LP Custom also hadstock pickups IIRC
        That´s correct too. And I forgot to mention K.K. Downing´s stock Flying V.

Comment

Not trying to play trivial pursuit (I would lose!), just saying the Dual Sound is a lot more versatile than some people think and a lot of classic metal was made with it, along with the Duncan Distortion and the Gibson 500t. The list of famous players who have used the Super Distortion is mighty long!

But I also concede the point that a lot of classic rock and classic metal was also made with paf-output pickups. At this point I am distracting from the op's question rather than adding to the info so I will show myself the door.

Comment

A few data about resistance (in k) / inductance (in H):

36th's: 9.72k & 5.47H (bridge), 7.74k & 4.23H (neck). It's respectively more and less than the theoretical average value for a P.A.F. clone (8k and 4.4H, values that a bridge SH55 Seth Lover reproduces exactly). Again, these are data that I've measured and not theoretical data. Real pickups being not created perfect, actual measurements may differ with other samples of the same model.

DM Dual-Sound (in series): 13.6k, 8.2 H according to DiMarzio. A bit more than 13k & 6.97H measured on the last one that I've tested [EDIT: roughly 1/4 of these values once the PU wired in parallel].

Tone Zone: 16.3k & 7.77H with the last one that I had in hand.

More inductance = more beef and more mids. (it’s a really caricatural sum up but at least it explains why inductance is a much more meaningful value than DCR; once we know the inductance and Gauss level / magnet type, the tone of a pickup can be predicted for the most part, as long as it’s built with standard components).

It must be said that while more DCR often translates in more inductance, it's not always the case: a DiMarzio Steve Special measures 17.4k but only 4.89H. In this case, the high resistance only flattens the tone a bit, making it less focused than a low resistance HB.

Measured inductance of a few Duncan HB's, for comparison:

PG1b: 4.6H
            APH1b: 4.7H
            SH1b: 4.8H
            SH13: 6.8H
            Custom Custom: 7H
            SH4: 7.8H
            Invader: 8.4H

FWIW (= my 2 cents).

Good luck in your tone quest, Rabelais. :-)
            Last edited by freefrog; 02-02-2020, 01:32 AM.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I love the super distortion on records but never in real life. My guess is that the amp and recording methods influence the final result so severely that the pickup by itself in modern settings (and volume levels) simply doesn't love up to its pedigree (anymore(.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                Not trying to play trivial pursuit (I would lose!), just saying the Dual Sound is a lot more versatile than some people think and a lot of classic metal was made with it, along with the Duncan Distortion and the Gibson 500t. The list of famous players who have used the Super Distortion is mighty long!

But I also concede the point that a lot of classic rock and classic metal was also made with paf-output pickups. At this point I am distracting from the op's question rather than adding to the info so I will show myself the door.
                No worries. Yes, the DualSound/SD was THE distortion pup for a long while, and lots of people used it. I´ve tried one before, and itś great, but I´d like something moe moderate

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

36th's: 9.72k & 5.47H (bridge), 7.74k & 4.23H (neck). It's respectively more and less than the theoretical average value for a P.A.F. clone (8k and 4.4H, values that a bridge SH55 Seth Lover reproduces exactly). Again, these are data that I've measured and not theoretical data. Real pickups being not created perfect, actual measurements may differ with other samples of the same model.

DM Dual-Sound (in series): 13.6k, 8.2 H according to DiMarzio. A bit more than 13k & 6.97H measured on the last one that I've tested [EDIT: roughly 1/4 of these values once the PU wired in parallel].

More inductance = more beef and more mids. (it’s a really caricatural sum up but at least it explains why inductance is a much more meaningful value than DCR; once we know the inductance and Gauss level / magnet type, the tone of a pickup can be predicted for the most part, as long as it’s built with standard components).

It must be said that while more DCR often translates in more inductance, it's not always the case: a DiMarzio Steve Special measures 17.4k but only 4.89H. In this case, the high resistance only flattens the tone a bit, making it less focused than a low resistance HB.

FWIW (= my 2 cents).

Thanks. I think I´ll install de PAF 36th anniv. set. They sound sweet in the demos.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                    I love the super distortion on records but never in real life. My guess is that the amp and recording methods influence the final result so severely that the pickup by itself in modern settings (and volume levels) simply doesn't love up to its pedigree (anymore(.
                    I´ve read that the current production SD doesn´t sound like the original iun the 1970s.

Comment

I had a super distortion from 1974. Few, actually.
                      Didn't care about them. New ones sound little less hairy.

Comment

I had a super distortion from 1974. Few, actually.
                        Didn't care about them. New ones sound little less hairy.
                        They can olny be used for one thing: dirt.

Comment

FWIW (= my 2 cents).

This makes a lot of sense now. Look at this pickup:

In the high output stakes, it’s very common to see “more is better” – higher resistances, stronger magnets, higher impedance, higher outputs – and the wraiths play right into that idea!

it induces 'only' 5.75H at 17K. Very low for such a hot humbucker. but it explains why it sounds so clear.

Inductance: amazing to understand when deciding what pickup to choose.

Comment

This makes a lot of sense now. Look at this pickup:

In the high output stakes, it’s very common to see “more is better” – higher resistances, stronger magnets, higher impedance, higher outputs – and the wraiths play right into that idea!

it induces 'only' 5.75H at 17K. Very low for such a hot humbucker. but it explains why it sounds so clear.

Inductance: amazing to understand when deciding what pickup to choose.
                            Yep, inductance is always good to know - reason why I often ramble about it in my answers. :-)

A side note about the specs: another interesting parameter is interwinding capacitance. with inductance, it defines the resonant peak of any passive pickup. It ranges between a few dozens and a few hundreds of picofarads and can be measured only at very high frequencies (beyond the resonant peak). The value of 3.28nF mentioned by Axesrus is obviously not interwinding capacitance and, as such, is of limited interest...
                            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Yep, inductance is always good to know - reason why I often ramble about it in my answers. :-)

A side note about the specs: another interesting parameter is interwinding capacitance. with inductance, it defines the resonant peak of any passive pickup. It ranges between a few dozens and a few hundreds of picofarads and can be measured only at very high frequencies (beyond the resonant peak). The value of 3.28nF mentioned by Axesrus is obviously not interwinding capacitance and, as such, is of limited interest...
                              never heard of that term before. Could be interesting? However, this pickup is amazing. I have tried almost all of AxesRus' pickups and I haven't heard one clunker yet. Their p90's, humbuckers and singlecoils are all superbly built and sound so, so good.

Comment

Too bad very few pickup manufacturers give you such specs.

Comment

Working...
                                X