Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Pro P-90s in Epi White Fang ES-125

Greetings,

In a 4 decade run of Gibson guitars, I've never had one with factory P-90 pups. Recently I bought myself a Ltd Edition Epiphone ES-125td with the 'new' P-90 Pro pups (dog ear). The instrument shockingly sounds great BUTTT .. I've always been smitten with the belief these guitars were sub-standard sound.
    This misinformed mindset prompted me to order one Dog Ear Antiquity (neck) as I had just scored a boxed Gibson Legendary Series P-90 (bridge).

My question to you is ... have any of yaz tried these new Epiphone P-90 Pro series pups and, if so, waddaya thinks???
    Waiting for the SD to arrive is driving me nuts

Re: Epiphone Pro P-90s in Epi White Fang ES-125

The real question is "What do YOU think?"

If you think that the stock P-90s sound "great", as you say, then you've got your answer. If you want to try the new pups you ordered, that's all good. Then YOU can compare and decide which sounds best to you.

If I said that the Epi P-90s sound good to me, that is essentially meaningless. If you like the sound of your newly ordered pups, then those are the ones you should keep in your guitar (nice guitar, by the way).
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-01-2020, 10:09 AM.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

i know epiphone has stepped up their pickup game over the last few years, but i've never had one that didn't benefit from a pickup upgrade.
      Quality riffs in about a minute...
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
        i know epiphone has stepped up their pickup game over the last few years, but i've never had one that didn't benefit from a pickup upgrade.
        That would just be a matter of personal preference rather than necessity. The modern Epi Pro series pups are patterned after Gibson Burstbuckers...some people like BB pups, some don't. But they are good quality and they are good at what they do, and they only "need" to be changed if you don't "like" them.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

In P-90's there's 2 magnets per coil, versus 1/2 magnet per coil. Magnets have a bigger influence on tone in P-90's, and the windings (which is where the magic is) correspondingly less. I've found that cheap P-90's sound better than cheap humbuckers.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I would concur that cheap P-90's can hang far better than cheap buckers. Ant P-90's are pretty great from previous experience, Gibson P-90's as long as they are above 8k have always worked for me. Haven't tried the new Epi versions but I'd dig getting my hands on that White Fang and putting it through some.
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
            X