banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring help - JB Jr, Vintage hot stack (2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help - JB Jr, Vintage hot stack (2)

I would like to do an auto split in position of the JB in position 2 with a 5 way blade, otherwise typical

Bridge JB JR
    Mid and Neck: Vintage Hot Stack

There are several on the SD site that are close, but I'm sketchy on auto splits and stacks with their three wires. Anyone have one of these diagrams lying around?

Speaking of which, maybe this is another thread, but I've done maybe 5 different configs from scratch. P-rails with two mini toggles, three SC size HB with mini toggle, standard Strat. And I feel like I'm getting just beyond the paint by numbers and into understanding, but barely. I've been able to do some modifications that weren't on the diagrams. It's the splits that have me buggered, and why sending red/white to a certain lug splits, etc.

Other than piecemeal via forums and the like, is there a an online course or something that I could take that covers all this, and that I could ask questions? "Why does this do an auto split?" I doubt it, but thought I would ask. Thanks!

Re: Wiring help - JB Jr, Vintage hot stack (2)

There are tons of resources on this website for wiring, from the Guitar Wiring Diploma Course to 100s of blogs. You can always ask questions in this forum, always. I still do, and if I don't do wiring for a long time, I feel like I have to start over again, so you are not alone.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Here is an auto split in position 2.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The only way to get autosplits in positon 2 and 4 as far as I know with all hum cancelling such as the JB Jr and stacked single coils is with a super 5 way switch.

Start with getting familiar with your multimeter. All you'll really be using is DC Resistance and Continuity (connections). However if you're a serious tone chaser Inductance helps big time. Capacitance I hardly ever use unless someone brings a guitar in with no writing on the capacitor and wants a re-wire. Instead of ripping them off trying to say their green polyester capacitor can't be reused or lie saying paper in oil capacitors will make their guitar sound better. You'll also never really use voltage unless you want reassurance. Luckily voltage is on even the cheapest multimeters. Getting familiar with a multimeter it'll really answer a lot of your questions like how switches react. The big take away from continuity when you've got a switch and you're not sure if finding the commons. Once you know where those are with very few exceptions such as the Cortek 3PS1SC5 or most Schaller megaswitches.

How I learned a lot was buying beat up guitars on my local classified site as I didn't want to take a 1000$+ guitar apart.

Some great places to start to learn on youtube are
        CSGuitars - especially his "too afraid to ask" series.
        Dylan Talks Tone - he has around 400+ videos - you'll learn from him how pots react with one another, capacitor values and how they affect our resonant peak
        guns and guitars - they had a great video taking mystery brand rail pickup and explaining it enough to do parallel wiring out of
        Seymour Duncan does have blogs as well
        Premier guitar can be quite insightful

More than anything I focus on one little detail at a time. Yesterday was obscure cocked wah mods and the day before Fishman Fluence pickup voices. Luckily most switches are a lot better documented and absolutely forums help for second or third opinions.

here's a good starter video

Comment

Thanks Shadowfire for your your wisdom and great resource list! I guess with a name like Shadowfire there’s some magic going on somewhere. I’ll definitely dig into these. Re multimeters, I got out my cheapo multimeter that came with my soldering iron the other day because knew my wiring was right, checked it over and over, inputs, outputs, check. So I started checking continuity on the contacts on the Fender switch from Amazon, touching the contact and the switch plate. I was right, one of the middle contacts wasn’t making a connection with the plate. So just had to press it in a bit. So yes, multimeter to the rescue. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
            The only way to get autosplits in positon 2 and 4 as far as I know...is with a super 5 way switch.
            Read my post just before yours and perhaps you will learn something new...Autosplit with a standard Strat 5 pos blade sw.

Comment

GuitarDoc, thanks for posting that. I've seen that one, but it's for SC. My question is re two stacks and a SC size humbucker. I'm just not sure what to do with the extra wire on the noiseless stacks.

Comment

Originally posted by hwkremer View Post
                GuitarDoc, thanks for posting that. I've seen that one, but it's for SC. My question is re two stacks and a SC size humbucker. I'm just not sure what to do with the extra wire on the noiseless stacks.
                You said that you wanted auto split of the bridge pup in position 2, right? So it doesn't matter whether the diagram shows singles or stacks for middle and neck pups since they don't enter into the problem anyway. Did I misunderstand what you wanted?

Comment

Just tape off the "extra wire" in the stack pups.

Comment

Doc is correct. Auto-split of one humbucker, (even two, for that matter), can be easily handled by a standard 5-way. I'll try to find the exact diagram in my archives, but I'm simultaneously rewiring two bass's and a Strat for a customer.

I'll go ahead and try to describe it in the mean time. Normally, one side of a 5-way is used for the tone controls. But that's only a soldering convenience. The tone controls can be connected on the pickup side with no difference in functionality. Then, you use the other side for auto-split. Your red/white wires would connect together, then connect to either of the #1 or #3 "pup" terminals. Don't use common at all. Then simply ground the #2 pup terminal. That will split either the neck or bridge pup automatically in the #2 or #4 position, just depending on which terminal you used for the red/white.

This is clearly a case where a pic is worth 1000 words.

Like this, but ignore either the neck or bridge. The one you AREN'T going to split. https://docs.google.com/gview?embedd...W_1V_1T_AS.pdf

Here's the one with two tone controls: https://docs.google.com/gview?embedd...W_1V_2T_AS.pdf
                    Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-03-2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Artie is absolutely correct about the standard Strat switch being able to do auto split of neck and bridge (positions 4 and 2) if you want both split. I thought you just wanted the bridge split in position 2.

Comment

Working...
                      X