Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS 513 - What’s going on?

The Paul Reed Smith 513 is described as having:
    “5 Pickups” (5 single coils arranged HSH)
    “13 switching options” (using a 5-way and 3-way)

What’s actually going on here?

The 5-Way is arranged like a a Strat style guitar, Bridge, Bridge & Middle, Middle, Neck & Middle, Neck. The 3-Way switches the Humbuckers from Heavy Humbucker to Clear Humbucker to Single Coil.

I assume these are just standard Humbuckers and aren’t really two Strat style single coils next to each other, right? Also, I assume Heavy Humbucker mode is Series and Single Coil is just Split. Any ideas what Clear Humbucker is? Could it be parallel?

I’m wondering if there’s anything here to apply to an HSH Strat to get closer to traditional Strat tones in the notch and split neck positions....
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: PRS 513 - What’s going on?

I'd bet clear humbucker is either parallel or a partial split.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's 5 individual pups.

Comment

So you can technically do this with Lace Sensors?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
          It's 5 individual pups.

Any ideas on the specs?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Is this legit? (The patent number doesn’t check out, at least as a US patent, but the wiring might be what you are looking for.)

Comment

If that diagram is correct, then all coils except the center one, are mini-humbuckers, for a total of 9 coils. (Single-coil sized to be exact.) It's too early in the morning to try to decipher what all the positions do.

Edit: Ok . . . not that difficult. Both "sides" are the same. Looking at the right side, in the current position, all four coils, (L1, L2, L5, L6), are in series.
              In the next position, the two inside coils, (L2, L5), are in series. And in the last position, L5 & L6 are shorted out, and L1 & L2 are in series.

The 5-way works like normal. Overall, a bit weird.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-01-2020, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Wow, thanks! If that’s accurate it looks like both “Humbuckers” are tapped. That 3-way is a beast, 6 pole? Unless it is a representation done with two individual 3-position switches like the 408.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  If that diagram is correct, then all coils except the center one, are mini-humbuckers, for a total of 9 coils. (Single-coil sized to be exact.) It's too early in the morning to try to decipher what all the positions do.

Edit: Ok . . . not that difficult. Both "sides" are the same. Looking at the right side, in the current position, all four coils, (L1, L2, L5, L6), are in series.
                  In the next position, the two inside coils, (L2, L5), are in series. And in the last position, L5 & L6 are shorted out, and L1 & L2 are in series.

The 5-way works like normal. Overall, a bit weird.
                  Are you sure they are mini humbuckers? (We cant see wind direction, so we have to assume...) I think they are just tapped single coils. You can see the “N” for North by Pickup “A” and “S” by “B”. So Full Humbucker, true double tapped Humbucker and full single coil? Or am I seeing it wrong.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm absolutely NOT sure. The dog got me up at 6am.

I'm sure about the wiring scheme, but I'm not sure how those pups are internally constructed.

Comment

Ok, without tearing apart a $2500+ guitar, based on the schematic above my assumption is that they are four tapped single coils and one full single coil. The coils are arranged and have polarity that matches with Humbuckers, and from the videos, when split the “forward” bridge coil is active and I believe the “forward” neck coil is active. I’m almost thinking they used this completely new pickup form factor to allow enough winds of the appropriate wire gauge to get the tones they are looking for.

I think a 513 for dummies could be done with a couple of “6 wire” Humbuckers. Both coils having a full and tapped output, the full combine for hot humbucking, the taps combine for a brighter Humbucker and then one full coil combines with a single for Strat like cluck.

The 3-way down low looks a bit goofy, but I think it works better than push pull combinations. If I did it on a Strat, I’d probably try to replace that with a big 3-way toggle, although it looks like a 6 pole doesn’t it?

Next is the 408...
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Found it:

A stringed musical instrument having a pickup system including at least one dual coil pickup, each coil having first and second end terminals and at least one tap to a portion of the coil between the first and second end terminals. A first or mode switch selectively connects first and second output terminals of a pickup circuit to (a) the first end terminals of both coils, (b) the first and a second end terminals of one of the coils, and (c) the at least one tap of both coils. Selection (c) allows for a selection of less than two full coils. The musical instrument includes additional pickups and a second or pickup selector switch to selectively connect the pickups and the first switch to the first output terminal of the pickup circuit.

Comment

I've never been much interested in guitars with so many pup combos. My first gigging "band" guitar was and old Hum Hum Carvin. I has the regular three way toggle and two mini two way switches. For live use only three or four different combinations really stood out from each other so as to be useful. But being a PRS fan the 513 has always intrigued me. Just never got my hands on one to try.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            Excellent, thanks!
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The later models came without a pcb but were more prone to be real noisy.

The 509 has clear humbucking mode and coil split with a tap that steals some windings off the second coil so the volume doesn’t drop off much.

Comment

Working...
                              X