Speaker for peavey 6505 plus 112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker for peavey 6505 plus 112

I just picked up a 6505 plus 1x12 combo pretty cheap. It needs a new speaker though. I have been looking up speaker suggestions. So far the eminence governor and Celestion vintage 30 seems to be the most popular. I am intrigued by the eminence maverick with the attenuation built in. But wonder if a 60-75 speaker will be enough.
    I know the general though is get a speaker double the wattage of the amp. But I don’t have much experience with higher wattage speakers. I tend to use green backs or recently creambacks.

Re: Speaker for peavey 6505 plus 112

Ever look at the WGS stuff? Your close by brother and may have a couple nice speakers FS in the next week or so. Know I will let a ET 90 go 90 watter and would kill in a 6505. Have a bunch of unused stuff I'm cleaning out of my music room. The ET 90 came out of my 25 watt Zinky Velvet a couple weeks back in a swap for another WGS ( G12C) that was a little more efficient and had a more Fender like clean tone. The 90 watter was just overkill in that little 25 watt amp. Say $60 and I'm just over in Birmingham would give us a chance to hook up face to face.
    One of these good and broken in but otherwise mint.

The little 25 watt Zinky running unmiced in a huge room ( lobby of a former Hospital bout 2000 or SQ foot room!) with the ET 90.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-31-2020, 10:41 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I think a Creamback M-65 or a Vintage 30 would have no problem handling the power of the 6505+. Those two are my recommendations. Matter of fact, I use Creamback H-75's with my EVH, and it sounds killer as well.

I'd personally avoid the Governor like the plague. I hate those speakers and the Eminence V12's that try to give you the "tweaked V30" vibe. I think both of those speakers manage to be muffled-sounding and fizzy at the same time, somehow. Hollow, almos phase-y sounding mids, and they sound attrocious mic'd with an SM57. JMO

Comment

G12 T-75 would be what I would put in there.
        Next choice would be V30
        Maybe a k100
        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
          G12 T-75 would be what I would put in there.
          Next choice would be V30
          Maybe a k100
          Also have a loose 16 ohm real Brit mid 90's G12 T-75 in great shape if your interested MIM. Was thinking about dropping it into my cab at Church to replace a WGS Retro. Retro is a wicked speaker for the heavier stuff but lacks a little on the cleans for what I'm doing there. Just have to much stuff that's just sitting round here gathering dust so doing some house cleaning this year.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

k100

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I’ve been listening to sound clips. I’m leaning toward a creamback or a Redback. I know the 6505 is most a metal amp but I have had decent luck getting good blues and decent clean tones out of them before. So those speakers seem to be to more versatile.

Comment

Working...
              X