Thread: EHX Tri Parallel Mixer.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default EHX Tri Parallel Mixer.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...parallel-mixer

I discovered this by accident while looking at something else. I didn't know such a device existed. This thing is cool. Extremely versatile. In its' normal mode, you can plug in up to 3 pedals, and them select them in either parallel mode or exclusive mode. (AND/OR) Exclusive mode is great for A/B'ing different pedals. Like comparing a couple of distortion pedals. But you can also use just the "sends" to go out to multiple amps. Like an A/B/Y box. Or A/B/C/Y, for that matter. You can use "returns" separately too, to make a simple mixer. A guitar and stereo keyboard, or 2 or 3 guitars. One of the things I love most about this is that I can finally try out my LP independent wiring scheme, where I'll have the bridge and neck on independent channels through a TRS jack. I can run through two different inputs, with the bonus of having a phase switch built in, for those Peter Green sounds.

Overall, I think this has just become the coolest device in my guitar toolbox. And the price isn't bad at a little less than $140.

So far, I only have two minor criticisms. This thing looks larger in the pics online. It's the same footprint as the Palladium. Its knobs are half the size of the Palladium, and are smooth surfaced, stiff to turn, and closely spaced. A little knurling here would be nice. (Focusrite figured this out on the headphone knob of their Scarlett series. The gen II's have a knurled knob.) Secondly, to really utilize this thing fully, you'll about double its cost in assorted length 1/4" cables. Even though I have quite a few, I had to order some more to do a couple simple experiments that I wanted to try.

Cool little device. Check it out.

P.S. This is great for controlling a Wah or two. Wah's typically like to be buffered, and also tend to have problematic toe-tap switches. This solves those problems.

Name:  Tri_Parallel_Mixer.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  98.0 KB
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-01-2020 at 04:30 AM.

Default Re: EHX Tri Parallel Mixer.

As I play with this more, I'm discovering even more "hidden" functionality. As a stand alone unit, simply plug three jumpers into the snd/rtn jacks. Set each send/return level and EQ knob to three sequential levels. Now you have a programmable 4-step clean boost. Ordinary single-boost buffer pedals can cost more than this. Throw an actual booster pedal into one of the loops, and you have super-overdrive. This thang is gonna be fun.

Edit: I probably shouldn't oversell the "boost" functionality. It's more a matter of attenuating one of the loops, then raising the volume of the amp to compensate. Then switch to a non-attenuated loop. Any proper boost pedal will provide much more boost. This thing would be subtle. But sometimes that works.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-01-2020 at 06:47 AM.

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

Similar to Earthquaker's Consolidator box:
    https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/swiss-things
    green globe burned black by sunn

That's cool too. I'll have to check that out.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

These are intriguing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Definitely a fun toy.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Similar to Earthquaker's Consolidator box:
    https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/swiss-things
    I have one. it's cool. I just wish they'd drop a tuner in the face of the pedal.. I've made that request BTW
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard