Experimental Custom Wind #3-Mainstream this time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Custom Wind #3-Mainstream this time

Finally got my counter hooked up, so I'm not 'flying blind' winding anymore. This one was designed to be fairly conventional:
    Screw: 5,200 turns of 42AWG PE wire, 4.5K
    Slug: 5,500 turns of 42AWG PE wire, 4.55K
    A2 'full length' (2.5") Magnet

I was surprised at the lack of variation in DCR from the additional 300 turns on the slug coil, to be honest. Not sure what's up with that, and would appreciate any ideas.

Loaded into the test sled, here's the Fender clean and JCM800 tones at the same levels as the others (I accidentally deleted the 'Plexi' model....derp.)

Still forming my opinions, but (if I do say so myself) this one sure seems fun to play so far....

Larry

Re: Experimental Custom Wind #3-Mainstream this time

Turn count typically should be the key for any winder, not K.
    Just from 'osmosis', I've learned a lot from winders and the ruminations on the various aspects of winding. Specific wire gauge for that coil (rather than nominal), pattern and tension all affect K within the same turn count #

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
      I was surprised at the lack of variation in DCR from the additional 300 turns on the slug coil, to be honest. Not sure what's up with that, and would appreciate any ideas.
      Here's an idea for you: what about giving DC reading its real value, which is near absolut zero?

That would be a step into the right direction, followed by the acquisition of measure instruments which can measure Inductance and Capacitance.

/Peter
      Last edited by Discharged; 02-02-2020, 03:18 AM.
      Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
      Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
        Here's an idea for you: what about giving DC reading its real value, which is near absolut zero?

That would be a step into the right direction, followed by the acquisition of measure instruments which can measure Inductance and Capacitance.

/Peter
        So using the same wire, winding pattern and tension on each, two coils with varying DCR are essentially absolutely identical? OK, thanks for that opinion.

As far as what I should buy, or do, I'm fine; no need to offer any further suggestions.

Larry

Comment

So using the same wire, winding pattern and tension on each, two coils with varying DCR are essentially absolutely identical? OK, thanks for that opinion.

As far as what I should buy, or do, I'm fine; no need to offer any further suggestions.

Larry
          I think your whole operation is flawed at its very core, as your readings don't corrispond with the alleged turn count with AWG#42 wire. The counter itself is most probably the culprit.

/Peter
          Last edited by Discharged; 02-02-2020, 02:14 PM.
          Kolding, Denmark

Comment

That's ok, becuse DCR doesn't matter in any way at all. Some guy on the internet just told me.

Larry

Comment

You know what they say: "you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink".

Regards to Moe and Curly.

/Peter
              Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Discharged
                Toneologist

This message is hidden because Discharged is on your ignore list.

Comment

Larry

I think if you were a big company buying quality consistent wire and with machines that wound repeatably you would expect to see the same turn count getting very similar DCR readings. As Duncan says in thier specs, there should be a tolerance of say 5%.
                  New winders (and I'm assuming from the timbre of some of your posts that you're a relatively new hobbyist) will be buying cheaper wire that is perhaps inconsistent in gauge. Also it takes some time to wind consistently....according to the winders I've picked brains of. It is even hard for the pros to guarantee pattern and tension. Certainly the machine wound vintage pickups showed high variability here.....hence some of the magic of 50's p90's, singlecoils and humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                    I think if you were a big company buying quality consistent wire and with machines that wound repeatably you would expect to see the same turn count getting very similar DCR readings. As Duncan says in thier specs, there should be a tolerance of say 5%.
                    New winders (and I'm assuming from the timbre of some of your posts that you're a relatively new hobbyist) will be buying cheaper wire that is perhaps inconsistent in gauge. Also it takes some time to wind consistently....according to the winders I've picked brains of. It is even hard for the pros to guarantee pattern and tension. Certainly the machine wound vintage pickups showed high variability here.....hence some of the magic of 50's p90's, singlecoils and humbuckers.
                    Alex-yes, I'm ABSOLUTELY a newbie at this, correct. I found some of the problem already; my counter can't keep up with the top speed of my winder (it begins 'skipping') so that threw the count off. Even going slower (within the counter's speed capabilities) I'm getting some variation, albeit much smaller than before.

The wire is from Remington, which is (I have heard) generally pretty consistent. Could still be a variation in this particular spool, of course.

I've built (well, 'cobbled together' is more accurate) a tensioner that I can set fairly precisely, and which stays a set distance from the winder, but I'm still getting more variation than I would have expected...I imagine at this point it's down to winding pattern and such.

Appreciate the input-this is a fascinating (and *dangerous*!) little rabbit hole I find myself going down.

Larry
                    Last edited by larryguitar; 02-05-2020, 07:57 AM.

Comment

So, I was right about the counter.

Who would've thought, uh?

/Peter
                      Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Discharged
                        Toneologist

This message is hidden because Discharged is on your ignore list.
                        View Post
                        Remove user from ignore list

Comment

Working...
                        X