Anybody try a A4 in a Senient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody try a A4 in a Senient?

Have 3 in play in guitars right now and want something a little different out of my Carvin ST 300. Has a Hybrid bridge and a Sentient neck and could use a less boomy clearer more ballanced neck tone in this particular guitar. Thinking of trying a rough cast A4 in that pickup before I swap it for a SNS neck and see if that would get me where I want. Wondering if anyone had done this swap and has some insight?
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Anybody try a A4 in a Senient?

One of my guitars is set up with a Sentient neck, Black Winter bridge. Originally the Sentient was paired with a Nazgul in a Schecter KM-6 Mk II. At that time, I did a lot of searching for information about mag swaps/mods to both of those pickups- there wasn't much info then, and there still isn't. One guy, on SevenString.org, had done a mag swap on the Sentient, so I tried it. Polished A2 mag might do what you're looking for. I liked it enough that I kept the Sentient when I eventually sold the KM-6 Mk II, and so now it's in the Banshee Elite-6, with the Black Winter bridge.

I've been working a lot and haven't had enough time yet to really make a definitive, descriptive statement, plus the guitar had been at the luthier's for quite a while for the wiring/installation, etc. However, what I have to compare the Sentient A2 against, is a standard Jazz neck, and a 59 neck. I would say that the Sentient is more even, less boomy, (like what you're looking for), and doesn't have the sharp pick attack of the Jazz, and also has a smoother tone when split- the Jazz split sounds pretty sharp and "spanky." (When playing clean.) So, the Jazz has its place in the other guitar, but I like the Sentient A2 better. I will say though, that I tamed a lot of boominess on the Jazz with adjustments of pickup height and pole pieces.

Against the 59, hard to say, because I've been messing with mag swaps on that one. I had been using a polished A4 mag in the 59, but am now trying a polished A2 mag in the 59. I like the 59 A2, and I will say that the A2 mag qualities seem to be apparent in both the Sentient and 59. They both sound better to my ears than the standard A5 mags, especially when split and clean. Not sure about the 59 A2 though, it's just my preference but I think I'll go back to A4 on that one- the 59 A4 seems to be able to produce a little better "Southern Rock" flavor. If I had to choose between the two (Sentient A2, 59 A2), it would be a tough decision but probably would take the Sentient.

So anyway, that's just an initial analysis on the Sentient. I would say, if you already have an A4 mag, go for it, it won't hurt to try. And maybe try an A2, before you ditch the Sentient entirely.
    Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Natural Gloss), Custom/59-A4
    Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Cat's Eye Pearl), Black Winter/Sentient-A2
    Schecter Blackjack SLS, Full Shred/Jazz
    Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

Have been running Sentients for a while in the neck of a couple guitars they are one of my all time favorite neck pickups. On a particular guitar I had a Sentient handy so used it but really want a different response more open clear more balanced tone. Have a SNS and also a 59 with A4's in them and think that the A4 might open up the Sentient in tone to work for me but before I swapped the mag wanted to see if anyone had insight from trying a A4 in the Sentient. Have a pair of rough cast A4's incoming as part of a larger order that I will use no matter if they go to the Sentient or not.
      Last edited by Ascension; 02-03-2020, 01:37 PM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        Have been running Sentients for a while in the neck of a couple guitars. One of my all time favorite neck pickups. On a particular guitar I had a Sentient handy so used it but really want a different response more open clear more balanced tone. Have a SNS and also a 59 with A4's in them and think that the A4 might open up the Sentient in tone to work for me but before I swapped teh mag wanted to see if anyone had insight from trying a A4 in the Sentient.
        Well, you'll probably be the first! Something cool about that... Hey if you try it, please let us know what you think. (And meanwhile, I'll probably be switching my 59 back to A4 as well.) Good luck!
        Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Natural Gloss), Custom/59-A4
        Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Cat's Eye Pearl), Black Winter/Sentient-A2
        Schecter Blackjack SLS, Full Shred/Jazz
        Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

I'm interested to hear your result, but I don't think you will have less bass with A4 magnet. It will probably end up being more boomy.
          Perhaps you would be better off with an A4 in a Jazz neck, if not the stock A5 Jazz neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
            I'm interested to hear your result, but I don't think you will have less bass with A4 magnet. It will probably end up being more boomy.
            Perhaps you would be better off with an A4 in a Jazz neck, if not the stock A5 Jazz neck.
            You won't have less bass. Or treble. What you will have is greater perceived mids. Roughcast will blunt the attack a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              You won't have less bass. Or treble. What you will have is greater perceived mids. Roughcast will blunt the attack a bit.
              Goal is softer attack more balance and clarity. If the swap works cool if not will pull the Sentient and swap it with a SNS.
              Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                Goal is softer attack more balance and clarity. If the swap works cool if not will pull the Sentient and swap it with a SNS.
                I think that a RCA4 will certainly do that.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X