Why is the STK-S4m RWRP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the STK-S4m RWRP ?

I'm drinking the Dimarzio Cool-Aid right now with the Area 58-67-61 trio. You can put them in any position, bridge, middle, neck it doesn't matter. I was thinking it would be interesting in position 2 and 4 to not use the phantom coils that induce a negative hum, and let both top coils cancel hum with each other (more natural sound?) but that's when a RWRP noiseless pickup would be necessary. Is this the actual reason why the STK-S4m (middle) is RWRP?

Re: Why is the STK-S4m RWRP ?

Yes - you wire the STK 4s for true single coil function and the middle pup is RWRP for this reason

Comment

Correct, to get better 2/4 tones you split the dummy coil out and just combine the signal coils. The STK-S4 and STK-S4m are the same spec in terms of tone. Also, there’s a STK-S4b that’s a little hotter. You can use it as the bridge with the neck and middle STK for a calibrated set or use it in the neck to balance out the Custom or Hot in the bridge.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The STK-S4m is hum-cancelling by itself. They make it RWRP so that it remains hum-cancelling if you split it when used with the neck or bridge. The thing is, to my ears, it still sounds like a traditional single coil even without being split. I guess they did that for the purists.

Negative hum?

PF beat me to it. I type too slow.

Comment

Yeah, it actually sounds great if you split it or not. So if it is easier, I'd just use a normal 5 way and not worry about the splitting.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Yeah, it actually sounds great if you split it or not. So if it is easier, I'd just use a normal 5 way and not worry about the splitting.
            Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            The STK-S4m is hum-cancelling by itself. They make it RWRP so that it remains hum-cancelling if you split it when used with the neck or bridge. The thing is, to my ears, it still sounds like a traditional single coil even without being split. I guess they did that for the purists.

Negative hum?

PF beat me to it. I type too slow.
            I also got the same advice from Eric with Dimarzio customer support last summer, that splitting their Area stacked singlecoil pickups to combine with each other in Positions 2 and 4 did not yield much of a difference.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

However, it makes sense if you are splitting a rw/rp pickup in conjunction with a regular single coil (I do this in my HSS wiring). That combination will be hum cancelling.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X