1,000th Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1,000th Time

No doubt this has been covered before - specifically for Telecasters and similar T-style guitars. What gauge strings do you use?

I'm about to overhaul my MIM Tele, and the older (and apparently weaker) I get the less I like bending strings on the 25-1/2" scale. I am currently set up for 10s and am considering going with 9s. Will that wimp out the tone too much? I suppose Billy Gibbons would say "NO", but I'm asking you.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: 1,000th Time

I don't love everything Jim campilongo plays, but when I heard the tone he gets and heard him say he plays 9s on his teles cuz he's bending all night and when the amps good and cranked you just notice the easy feel to bends ,I had to take notes

Some people say that thicker strings are easier to bend for them because you don't bend then as far and the resistance gives them some feedback and control, I find it easiest to bend when my hand isn't tired

I do the most bending on my tele and I keep 9s on it,
    When I play really clean at lower volumes I get the urge to switch back cuz the tone is kinda bright and airy, but turn up till the amp compresses or add pedals and I think it's mostly about feel after that

I don't go for much over a while step bend on my strat with 7.25" radius, and with that one I feel that with 9s the fundamental note is not strong enough so I use tens. They focus the sound a little.
    On my jazzmaster I use 11s for the same reason but I do even less bending on it and play it more clean these days in the neck pickup and it needs 11s to have a little more sustain and focus. More for learning jazz chording and stuff.

But the tele I like the feel of most and an considering saying screw it and going 9s on all the fender scale guitars for simplicity and consistency but the jazzmaster really needs some beefy strings to balance the jangle, at to use it the way it was designed I think.
    Last edited by FuseG4; 02-02-2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Try some 9.5s. It’s always shocking to me going from 10s to 9s, maybe that half step will literally be the Goldilocks gauge.

(My 52RI has 11s, my Elite has 10s) The 52 I use for rhythm a lot, not bending too many notes. It just rings with those strings, a little higher action too.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I like to tune my tele down a 1/2 step. That makes it easier to bend and thickens the sound a bit.

Comment

10 - 46 (D'addario or Ernie Ball) ou 10 - 48 GHS Gilmour Signature (but this one has 12 and 16 instead of 13 - 17)
          This works in E and D#.

On my Telecaster (Deluxe) I am now using Pyramid Pure Nickel for one year : The gauge is the same 10 - 46 but it really feels different : more slinky and more vintage.
          (not bad for a hard tail). There is another traditional pure nickel brand you can find I America (I forgot the name).
          Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

I'm not sure what kind of hassles tuning down a half step may be for me in a band situation where all songs are already in guitar friendly keys and I really don't like to use capos.

I notice Ernie Ball has a hybrid set that is basically a cross between their Slinky and Super Slinky sets, but the Primo set starts at 9.5 I think I'll try the PRS strings. They seem to have a good balance of gauges. I never realized 9.5s existed.

Thanks!
            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

011-056. I alternate quite a bit between drop C and E standard and I love the power, oompf and resistance the strings give me when I play in E and I love how slinky and fast the guitar feels in drop C.

My 'Cabro' is in E standard, 010-046.

Comment

I'm currently using Ernie Ball 10-46 on my Tele, but considering putting on 9-42 at the moment.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I use 9s. I am fine with that.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Check this video out.

Comment

Just try it.
                      Experiment with single strings sold separately (Daddario)
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

D'Addario 9 - 46

Comment

I ordered some EBs and PRS this morning.

For some odd reason a 10 - 46 set feels stiffer on my Tele than on my Strat. They are both 25.5" scale with similar radii.

Comment

i use 11's on everything these days, standard tuning. i used to put smaller strings on some stuff but its much easier if everything gets the same strings. dr pure blues 11-50. smaller strings bend easier, no doubt. there are plenty of people that get great tone with small strings. the rev is kinda an anomaly, super thin strings (7's, 8's for slide) but his rig is pretty tricked out so it barely matters what he plays

Comment

11s on Fender scale -but guitar is in D Standard.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X