Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1,000th Time

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
    I ordered some EBs and PRS this morning.

For some odd reason a 10 - 46 set feels stiffer on my Tele than on my Strat. They are both 25.5" scale with similar radii.
    I believe that’s because strats have a vibrato and teles anchor the strings into the body.

I use 10’s on my Tele because it stays in tune longer. But 9’s sound more twangy and fendery.

Comment

I've been fond of 9-42 ground wound daddario strings

D'Addario EHR320 Half Round Electric Guitar Strings, Super Light, 9-42 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009G0AZA..._4lCoEb61ZYBH7
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I am currently set up for 10s and am considering going with 9s. Will that wimp out the tone too much?
        The answer is very simple...No.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

PFDarkside called it.

XL Nickel Wound electric guitar strings are the standard against which all other strings are measured. XL Nickel has been revered by players everywhere since 1974. 9.5-44 Super Light Plus strings are a good middle ground between 9s and 10s, and are good for balancing tension between varying scale length guitars. Learn more.

Comment

I loved the .095 set for everything but slide. Once I have a dedicated slide axe I plan on switching to that even on my Gibsons.

I also want to try one of the Hendrix gauge sets, with lighter G, A and low E.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'm currently using 10-46 on all my guitars (Teles included), but over the years I have switched many times between 9-42, 10-46 and 9-46. They're all good, just different.

Any perceived differences in tone can be compensated for by tweaking action, pickup height, picking strength, amp/pedal settings etc. I think you should play what you feel comfortable with and, if necessary, adjust other variables to suit that choice.

Comment

No doubt this has been covered before - specifically for Telecasters and similar T-style guitars. What gauge strings do you use?

I'm about to overhaul my MIM Tele, and the older (and apparently weaker) I get the less I like bending strings on the 25-1/2" scale. I am currently set up for 10s and am considering going with 9s. Will that wimp out the tone too much? I suppose Billy Gibbons would say "NO", but I'm asking you.
                check YouTube, Rob Chapman did a test video of this very thing. he literally put on several different gauges and played them on clean and distortion. On heavy distortion there's not too much difference. On cleans there is a bigger difference. the lighter the gauge the thinner the tone.
                I will tell you it also makes a difference what bridge you have on your guitar too.

Comment

Originally posted by philthis View Post
                  check YouTube, Rob Chapman did a test video of this very thing. he literally put on several different gauges and played them on clean and distortion. On heavy distortion there's not too much difference. On cleans there is a bigger difference. the lighter the gauge the thinner the tone.
                  I will tell you it also makes a difference what bridge you have on your guitar too.
                  Weird...check out the video linked above somewhere from Rick Beato. The opposite was the result. The .09 g sounded best.

Comment

I like 9-46 sets, Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky, personal preference is the Cobalts or Paradigm sets.
                    sigpic
                    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      the rev is kinda an anomaly, super thin strings (7's, 8's for slide) but his rig is pretty tricked out so it barely matters what he plays
                      His tech uses an oscilloscope to measure presets for each guitar to make them all sound identical. I love ZZ, but after learning that, I looked elsewhere for tone secrets.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                        His tech uses an oscilloscope to measure presets for each guitar to make them all sound identical. I love ZZ, but after learning that, I looked elsewhere for tone secrets.
                        That’s how he’s able to have furry pink guitars that spin and crap like that, but still play ZZ Top songs.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          That’s how he’s able to have furry pink guitars that spin and crap like that, but still play ZZ Top songs.
                          Lol, the backing tracks probably help out a bit too.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                          X