Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney IRT Studio Tube change

Hey,
    My IRT Studio needs a new pre amp tube and I thought about maybe changing all of them.

My idea is to may use some that tames down the gain and "heavyness" a bit (looser low end, less bite etc.)

The amp sounds great, and the possibility to use it without a cab or D.I. makes it a great club amp.
    But since a few month I play in a lot of more folk oriented gigs, where I use the rhythm channel for an a bit crunchy sound and the lead channel for a "Gary Moore" type of lead sound.

The amp uses 3 ECC83 tubes.

Are there particular tubes that I could use to tame the amp a bit?

Years of owning a Gibson Guitar made me more of a luthier than a guitarist

Re: Laney IRT Studio Tube change

I replaced the 12ax7's with 5751's in my blackstar to make tame the gain as it had way more gain than I needed. This calmed it down quite a bit. Here is a tone chart for tube replacement that I found which might be helpful. Hope it helps

Comment

I honestly don't see the benefit of changing the phase inverter or the tone stack driver to a lower gain tube. I see why you would want to replace V1 to a 5751, but why would you want to lower the gain on positions that don't really distort much?

I don't have first-hand experience with 5751's, TBH, but in my EVH, changing V2-V5 to less high-gain 12AX7's just made the amp quieter and smaller-sounding, not less distorted.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-02-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I ordered 2 Tubes for testing in the V1

-Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC5 HG K (used in some modern Vox Amps)
        -JJ 5751

I chose the Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC5 HG K.

It reduced the maximum gain of the amp quite a bit. Where before it was a very Djent and Core focused style amp now the limit is a bit heavier than 80s Glam Metal.
        The point where the clean sound breaks up sounds nicer and it reacts better to the Volume pot of the instrument.

The 5751 made the amp too quiet and it got muddy when driven by my higher output Pickups.

Years of owning a Gibson Guitar made me more of a luthier than a guitarist

Comment

Working...
        X