Would like a little more punch in the neck of my Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like a little more punch in the neck of my Strat

I'm currently using a Duncan Custom in the bridge with a Classic Stack in the neck. I like the single-coil like transparency most specifically the fact that when I play the bass strings the pickup remains clear. It does not get too bassy or woofy at all.

But at times I wish I had more punch and balls in the neck. Like a Duncan Distortion neck model.

I was thinking about trying the Custom Stack Plus but I fear that when I play the bass strings it will be too bassy and boomy and that's not what I want to happen.

If I could get power with clarity that would be cool.

Re: Would like a little more punch in the neck of my Strat

Do you want to keep it as a noiseless single coil? Or a regular single coil? Or a single coil sized humbucker?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Do you want to keep it as a noiseless single coil? Or a regular single coil? Or a single coil sized humbucker?
      A noiseless single coil and a single coil sized humbucker are the same thing. I would prefer to keep it as a vertical humbucker. I was even thinking about trying the YJM Fury bridge model in the neck.

Comment

I just put the YJM Fury bridge pickup in the neck and so far the results are quite good. I'm getting more punch and power but with clarity in the bass. The YJM Fury neck model is too flabby and bassy. This just may be what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
          A noiseless single coil and a single coil sized humbucker are the same thing. I would prefer to keep it as a vertical humbucker. I was even thinking about trying the YJM Fury bridge model in the neck.
          I think mincer is talking about pickups like hot rails that go for a humbucker sound vs pickups like Areas that go for a single coil sound. Do you want a thick bucker or a clear sc sound?

Comment

No, its not. A Hot Rails is a single coil humbucker, a Classic Stack is a noiseless single coil.

Comment

No, its not. A Hot Rails is a single coil humbucker, a Classic Stack is a noiseless single coil.
              That's how I've always thought of them. If you're looking for something similar to a Distortion, I'd go for a JB Jr or similar, to be honest.

Larry

Comment

So a pickup like the Classic Stack has one coil which is the sound of the pickup but the bottom coil is only there for noise cancellation purposes? The second coil does not contribute to the sound?

What about vertical humbuckers like the Virtual Vintage Blues and the Virtual Vintage 54 Pro?

Comment

But at times I wish I had more punch and balls in the neck. Like a Duncan Distortion neck model.
                  For noiseless "spank & punch" I always go to the Cool Rails. But I wouldn't say that it sounds like a Distortion.

Comment

So a pickup like the Classic Stack has one coil which is the sound of the pickup but the bottom coil is only there for noise cancellation purposes? The second coil does not contribute to the sound?

What about vertical humbuckers like the Virtual Vintage Blues and the Virtual Vintage 54 Pro?
                    In the modern versions of pickups like the Classic Stack, the bottom coil is only for noise cancellation. It is like 1/3 the size of the top coil. I don't think (other than the hum) it contributes to the sound at all.

Comment

If you want something with more power than the Classic Stack, either Rails or SCSHumbucker, I'd go with either a Hot Rails neck or the Lil'50 neck. If you want clarity, the Cool Rails will doi it for you, with slightly less punch and power than the aforementioned pickups.
                      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Dude, the DD neck is super punch but cannot be compared with a single coil. I would either try the STK-S6 or the Parallel Axis Stack.

How about also trying a bright neck humbucker like Jazz neck or Full Shred neck? Not exactly there but have the articulation and attack under high gain while keeping great cleans, they can sound bluesy too.

Edit: Or maybe the bridge model of the STK-S4 in the neck position could be another option.
                        Last edited by IMENATOR; 02-04-2020, 11:29 AM.
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                        X