Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD, but not for me...

Originally posted by mojosman View Post
    It’s too bad other kids ruined it for him. On the other hand, one of my sons is exceptionally gifted as an athlete, can play pretty much anything well.

Up until high school he looked like he could maybe be a baseball star, and I love baseball. He was great defensively and could hit. Then as a freshman he had a genuine dick for a coach, and never played again.

He was a really good wrestler, wrestled varsity all four years, and went to States regularly. Skateboarded, raced BMX, and snowboarded, but never played baseball again.

I don’t blame the coach, he really didn’t love playing the game. If he loved it we could have gotten him on a different team. Maybe your nephew didn’t have the passion just like my boy who had all the talent but none of the passion. I wish I had his ability, but I never did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have three nephews like that...good, no GREAT, at everything. They were amazing at football, baseball, wrestling, BMX, golf, tennis, skiing (water and snow), skateboarding, motocross, etc. By the time they were out of high school my brother had a display case 4' wide that was so cram-packed with trophies and medals that you couldn't even see them all (if there was a separate case for each of them, they all would have been full). I was always in awe whenever I would go skiing or play any sports with them.

Some people are just gifted in some area or another. Like some pre-teen kids I've seen after only playing guitar for a year who could be pro.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      Like some pre-teen kids I've seen after only playing guitar for a year who could be pro.
      It's them dadgum 7-year old little Asian girls who make me want me to put my guitars away.

Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-09-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        I have the same guitar, for the same reason: So the grandkids have something to beat on when they come over. Funny thing is . . . sometimes the short scale is fun to mess with myself.
        I was picking away at this one on the couch the other night on a little practice amp. My wife was doing some school work sitting next to me. She couldn’t believe it was the little one. She thought it sounded great. I got to admit those ceramic magnet pickups sound better than I expected

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          It's them dadgum 7-year old little Asian girls who make me want me to put my guitars away.

These vids just deflate me... Ive been diddling around with guitars for so many years ( of course there was a big lapse of time after kids where gear was pawned and/or practice time didnt exist) .. TBH I cant play a song.. (I know chords and scales). Then I see something like this.. crazy...

Mojosman,
          Very cool what you are doing! I got my son and two of my daughters started playing. (my oldest wasnt really interested in music, my son was more into sports and vocals in a hardcore band) My next to last daughter seemed interested in bass, so I got her a daisy rock bass, that was actually a blast to play and played and sounded quite good. she sold it for weed. : ( But the daughter above her and below her went on to be pretty good players.. All three (of 5) of my youngest have children. Of course the ones that play have guits at home that their kids play. But this is a very cool Idea and hopefully he will take to it!!!
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

BloodRose I really hope the boy takes to it too. My wife and I have six kids collectively (3 boys, 3 girls) all are adults now, but only the one grandchild so far. All of the kids were exposed to music, and took lessons of one kind, or another, and all quit playing at some point. My oldest daughter was first clarinet in high school band, but hasn’t played a note since she graduated.

My oldest brother’s youngest son would come over my house when he was young. He would ask to see my guitars every time, and he was like six or seven then. Asked lots of questions, and wanted to hold them all. My brother then moved his family about seven hours away, and I sadly got to see the boy a lot less.

This boy credits me with getting infected by the Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. He says he has vivid memories of my guitar room. The sounds, looking at the various guitars and amps.

My brother bought him one guitar, an amp, and got him lessons. He got really good, really fast. He had paper routes and farm jobs and quietly accumulated one heck of a guitar and Amp collection. He’s mostly a Gibson/Marshall guy. He plays metal and hard rock stuff mostly.

He eventually played lead guitar in various bands, and actually supported himself as a working musician for a short period of time. He eventually got married, and recently had twins, and for a few years now works a regular job, and doesn’t play so much anymore with a young family.

It’s a cool feeling that I played a small role in him developing a love for music, and a hobby. He grew up to be fine young man, and a better player than I will ever be. I’ve made it clear to my wife that if something ever happens to me, I’d like him to have one of my guitars. I hope my grandson gets the bug too.

Comment

Working...
            X