Will this mess up the pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this mess up the pickups?

Ok so this is a weird one so please bear with me on this. I know many of the suggestions may end up being just get a new guitar but that’s just not in the cards at the moment.

I own a couple old Ibanez SCA 220 guitars. I really like the body style, the necks are almost perfect for me, the only thing I really don’t like is the guitars are too light, I mean the guitars are sturdy but as light as they are they don’t feel so sturdy if that makes sense. I had read some people say they have used the balancing weights for wheels, the stick on type, on the control cavity cover to help with neck dive, so I thought “why not try this?” I picked up a pack at Harbor Freight 1/2 Oz per, lead free. I was able to get 3 under the neck pickup, 4 under the bridge and several in the control cavity. The guitar is very close to the weight that I want now, and there doesn’t seem to be a grounding issue, though if I decide to stay on this path I fully intend to put copper shielding tape on all of them.

My ultimate question is, will having these weights under the pickups, interfere with the operation of the pickups?

Re: Will this mess up the pickups?

Nope.
    You're fine.
    You can also install heavy solid metal knobs. I have Allparts chrome knobs on two of my guitars just for the added weight.

Comment

No, not at all.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Lead is not magnetic. No problem.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
        X