banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orpheo Guitars Bich: lots of koa and laminations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orpheo Guitars Bich: lots of koa and laminations!

I've been a sucker for the Bich shape since forever, but I couldn't find one I really could get along with. So... I decided to make my own. My first was just a means to use some amazing materials I had left, but since then I've build two more. Number two is a bit boring (but sounds so, so, so amazing) but this one, is what I envisioned for years.

I don't care for all the electrickery or preamps, I just want a classy Bich. So, I made a guitar I had in my mind and I hope you guys like this one

Specs:

Top and back: koa
    Body core: black limba
    Neck: 17 piece - ovangkol, Caribbean rosewood, goncalo alves, maple/walnut/maple pinstripes
    Fretboard: Macassar ebony
    Fretboard details: 25.5'' scale, 24 jumbo frets, 10''-14'' conical radius
    Headstock cap: ziricote
    Backplate: figured mahogany (sorry, ran out of ziricote to use to match the backplate with the headstock veneer )
    Bridge: Hipshot
    Tuners: Hipshot open gear griplock
    Pickups: Custom designed, made in the UK double cream humbuckers (NOT Dimarzio)
    Electronics: 3 way pickup selector, dual volume/tone controls with 2 push pull pots to select north coil, south coil, series or parallel
    Weight: 3.2kg (7lbs)

Re: Orpheo Guitars Bich: lots of koa and laminations!

Nice!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice!

Did you attempt to mod the body shape at all on any prototypes or anything? That looks like a standard Rich. What was it about them you didn't get along with? Mine has Vol/Vol/Tone switch.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Very nice!

Did you attempt to mod the body shape at all on any prototypes or anything? That looks like a standard Rich. What was it about them you didn't get along with? Mine has Vol/Vol/Tone switch.
        I didn't attempt to mod the body after I made the first template (which is a rare thing for me, might I add! ). I drew the guitar from memory so the shape is like a Bich but not a perfect copy. The horns are slightly different and most importantly, the point on the bass side, on the bottom, has more of a curve than on the real Bich.

what I don't like? vol/vol/tone, that's just weird to me. Also, I felt the real version's electronic layout looked weird so I streamlined it.

The only thing I did change compared to the previous iteration was to relocate the centerline. For some reason, the centerline in #2 wasn't correct (but it was spot on in the first).

Comment

Nice slab of koa.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Another pretty one!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

wow, you killed it, nice job!
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I suppose it could use another 4 strings...
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Would you mind stopping this Orpheo? I really don't have the funds right now, nor do I have a place for a big enough piggy bank... Not that I would touch anything with a non-matching control plate cover... :P Joking aside, it's UH-MAZING! It's good to see you stray away from the classic, safe designs too. At least that's the first one in that category that I see from you. The neck is glued in, not all the way through, right?

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                    Would you mind stopping this Orpheo? I really don't have the funds right now, nor do I have a place for a big enough piggy bank... Not that I would touch anything with a non-matching control plate cover... :P Joking aside, it's UH-MAZING! It's good to see you stray away from the classic, safe designs too. At least that's the first one in that category that I see from you. The neck is glued in, not all the way through, right?
                    You're absolutely right. This isn't a neckthru I did a few of those 'way back when' but I choose not to do that anymore for a few reasons. Firstly, I don't believe for one second that a neckthru gives either more sustain or a better upper fret access. Also, it's more wasteful (you need a much longer neck blank but offers no benefit, it's more costly, it's more time-consuming). And, replacing a thru-neck is much more difficult than one that's deep-set. Lastly, I feel that a neckthru has some weird overtones that I personally don't like

I personally love the classic shapes and I REALLY love making LP's and tele's. They're just the most fun to make for me. But I have done this shape two times before. As far as the more 'modern' shapes, I've also done a few V's as well as my take on the Explorer. In total, I have 10 shapes right now?

LP
                    SG
                    Tele
                    Strat
                    PRS-ish (that purple beast I posted 2 weeks ago)
                    V
                    EXP
                    Bich
                    Superstrat
                    1x bass model

I've got 2 classic Offset's coming up (Jazzmaster and Firebird) and then... done.

About your line in bold: you'll be surprised how fairly fair my prices are. At least, that's what I like to believe But I have a bit of bad news; the order books are closed for 2020 I really have to churn out a couple of amazing builds and guitars so I can load up the website. I've updated a few other guitars I build years ago so they at least look the part, but I simply have at least another 16 guitars to go. That website is now my first priority (plus completing the standing orders) because i still... do... not....have... a... WEBSITE. It's really about time.

Comment

The **** does bich mean?
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                        ... I hope you guys like this one
                        I like it very much ! It is gorgeous !
                        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          The **** does bich mean?
                          I am assuming you don't understand why I called this shape 'Bich'? Well, because the dude who originally came up with this design, Neal Moser, called this the Bich and I tend to all my models something similar?

Comment

Oh I see, it's actually the name of the design. Great job. You're a luthe.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Beautiful axe. If you dont mind me asking though, why is the neck pocket protrusion so large? Couldn't you slim that down and get better upper fret access?
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                              X