banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orpheo Guitars Bich: lots of koa and laminations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Orpheo Guitars Bich: lots of koa and laminations!

Originally posted by Coma View Post
    Beautiful axe. If you dont mind me asking though, why is the neck pocket protrusion so large? Couldn't you slim that down and get better upper fret access?
    Good question.

I experimented a lot over the years to see what works well: I find this neck joint to work extremely well: it's round, so you won't bump your hand to hard corner, it works well if the owner prefers bolt on instead of glued and it gives a LOT of stability! I also tried to 'slim' it down or make it sculpted but that proved to be, in fact, more cumbersome to play than this. I am not exactly sure (I build guitars, I am not an ergonometrist ) but this joint seems to give the best upper fret acces combined with ease of production and stability. If it's easy to route (I don't use CNC, I do it all by hand and with handheld machines and templates) I can more easily produce a neat product and that translates into lower pricing.

As to why it seems to be so comfortable up there despite appearances is, I guess, the fact that there is no slope going from the neck to the heel so your hand really 'rests' against the curve of that part of the body.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
      About your line in bold: you'll be surprised how fairly fair my prices are. At least, that's what I like to believe But I have a bit of bad news; the order books are closed for 2020 I really have to churn out a couple of amazing builds and guitars so I can load up the website. I've updated a few other guitars I build years ago so they at least look the part, but I simply have at least another 16 guitars to go. That website is now my first priority (plus completing the standing orders) because i still... do... not....have... a... WEBSITE. It's really about time.
      Yeah, I have a ballpark idea about that, as someone asked for the price of the purple one from 2 weeks ago and I recall you answered that. And I agree, for basically one-off, custom made guitars, it does sound fair. The remark was actually aimed at me being broke/living from average Eastern European salary...

Comment

If you don’t mind me asking, where’s the neck attachment bolts?

Comment

That's pretty. I'm kinda partial to the Mockingbird shape with the classic 3x3 R headstock. This is impressive.

Comment

I love every single thing about it.

DAMN that’s pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
              If you don’t mind me asking, where’s the neck attachment bolts?
              It's glued-in, not bolt on. I just meant in my post above that my neck joints can be used for bolt on joints or glued-in joints

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                That's pretty. I'm kinda partial to the Mockingbird shape with the classic 3x3 R headstock. This is impressive.
                yes, I keep forgetting about the Mockingbird; I absolutely will add that to my group of models! Not looking forward to do the bevels on that axe, though I am still very partial to a ruby red Mock, LP control setup and a Floyd. I still can't get along with the Iceman shape, though; lacks balance imho. As far as BC Rich shapes goes, I'll keep it with the Bich and Mockingbird.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                  I love every single thing about it.

DAMN that’s pretty.
                  Thanks!

I was thinking about doing inlay and binding on the fretboard but opted out of that because I wanted the woods to take center stage. Perhaps next time. (and, despite binding being easy to do, it's just a lot of extra work).

Comment

... I don't see any pictures..

Comment

Originally posted by The_Junior View Post
                      ... I don't see any pictures..
                      Just checked. They're there?

Comment

they never show for me either, probably where they are hosted are blocked on your network for whatever reason

Comment

cool, I like it , I have a 1984 BICH , & 3 Korean made BICH's, & my brother has a original Bich also

Comment

I am browsing this site on the company server... outside of work hours mind you.. I show up early.

Comment

Gorgeous. (As usual.)

Comment

Working...
                              X