Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Wiring Help Needed

Hello all!

I have a quick question, I want to wire 2 separate pickups to an on/off/on 3 way slider switch, something like a pickup selector deal, so that I can switch between the 2 pickups like such A/off (neither)/B.

How exactly would this be wired, where would the hot go/what will go to the volume/tone, and is this possible with DP3T type switch?

Thanks!
    Last edited by cmac; 02-03-2020, 01:11 PM.

Re: Pickup Wiring Help Needed

Originally posted by cmac View Post
    Hello all!

I have a quick question, I want to wire 2 separate pickups to an on/off/on 3 way slider switch, something like a pickup selector deal, so that I can switch between the 2 pickups like such A/off (neither)/B.

How exactly would this be wired, where would the hot go/what will go to the volume/tone, and is this possible with DP3T type switch?

Thanks!
    Yes, it is possible with a on-off-on DPDT switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200203_150726.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	5818140
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Hey thanks a lot! So, it would be easier to achieve this with a DPDT instead of a DP3T? And the wire coming off of the middle lug of the switch, is that a specific wire or just something used to bridge the gap between the switch and volume?

Again thanks for the help!

Comment

What is a DP3T? I don't believe I have seen one. What are its positions and connections?
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I just did this in another thread. Let me see if I can find it.

The left one would be N/off/B. The right one N/Both/B.
          Attached Files

Comment

That doesn't seem like a DP3T to me. Each pole should have three separate connections it could make. Seems like you'd need a blade or rotating switch for that. Which lugs are the poles and which are the throws?

Comment

Yeah . . . those slide switches have always been a gray area for me as far as DPDT, DP3T, etc. goes. I was more answering the OP's original question.

Here's an example where Switchcraft themselves, call that a DP3T switch: https://www.etronic-parts.com/Guitar...-on::1142.html
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-03-2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Yeah . . . those slide switches have always been a gray area for me as far as DPDT, DP3T, etc. goes. I was more answering the OP's original question.

Here's an example where Switchcraft themselves, call that a DP3T switch: https://www.etronic-parts.com/Guitar...-on::1142.html
                Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Yes, a DP3T does seem like a completely different animal than an "on-off-on". I saw "on-off-on" mentioned in the OP's original post and ran fwd based on that.
                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-03-2020, 09:47 PM.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks for the diagrams!

Comment

Yeah slide switches seem to be quiet the animal... however, no matter the toggle switch (strat/lp/tele style) I always seem to bump them and change positions with my erradic strumming pattern. Because of this, I was wondering if I could replace this toggle switch with a slide switch.. who knows we'll see

Comment

Originally posted by cmac View Post
                      .. who knows we'll see
                      ArtieToo's earlier reply with the diagrams gives you what you need for a DP3T. You are all set.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        I just did this in another thread. Let me see if I can find it.

The left one would be N/off/B. The right one N/Both/B.
                        Artie,

Your two diagrams ended up stacking top and bottom instead of left and right. Can you clarify which one is the Bridge/No output/Neck diagram that the OP requested?

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                          Artie,

Your two diagrams ended up stacking top and bottom instead of left and right. Can you clarify which one is the Bridge/No output/Neck diagram that the OP requested?

Kingswebe,
                          on a computer the images are shown next to each other, so the first of his images would be on the left, and the second would be the image on the right!

Comment

My official plan is, to have 3 strat pickups, and 3 hot rail pickups, and each pair (strat & hot rail), will have a three way switch to select if either is on. The picture will help describe this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Diagram.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	5818152

Essentially, you'd have strat and humbucker circuits, but because of the off selection for each switch, you can still just achieve a bridge humbucker, strat neck, single coil neck + bridge humbucker, etc.

If I'm crazy, tell me

Comment

It's the same idea as Brian May's guitar, but instead of selecting coils he selects which pup is on and whether it is in or out of phase with the other pups.

Your diagram is perfectly clear and will work as you intend.

Comment

Working...
                              X