banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well-executed "jack of all trades" tube amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well-executed "jack of all trades" tube amp?

Do it all amp? If money was not an issue (for me, anyways), I'd go with a Marshall JVM410, the original or JS edition - same goes for combos. Because who wouldn't like 100W of Marshall versatile goodness in a 2x12 combo format? Add in a Helix or Fractal in 4CM, you got yourself a hell of a setup.

In terms of value, the Blackstar HT Stage 60 2x12 Mk1 has done me well. Three channels, switchable modes, ISF, presence and resonance, with cab-sim out, plus built-in reverb. It's all there. The Mk2 has footswitchable modes for the 3 channels, as well, so slightly more versatile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I was gonna say DSL 40 too.

Love the clean, love the mean. All tube, great for pedals.

Is “no pedals a requirement?
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you want a slick looking, great sounding, versatile tube amp, then look no further than the MonoPrice Stage Right 15 Watt tube amp. Seriously.

This amp is cheap and with the savings vs other amps you can roll your own tubes, install your speaker of choice, and still have cash left over for a pedal or two. However, you can also play it as is as it sounds fantastic. This little guy comes with effects loop, attenuator, onboard reverb, headphone jack, good tubes, transparent speaker, read the reviews, it's legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewsky7170 View Post
          Do it all amp? If money was not an issue (for me, anyways), I'd go with a Marshall JVM410, the original or JS edition - same goes for combos. Because who wouldn't like 100W of Marshall versatile goodness in a 2x12 combo format? Add in a Helix or Fractal in 4CM, you got yourself a hell of a setup.

In terms of value, the Blackstar HT Stage 60 2x12 Mk1 has done me well. Three channels, switchable modes, ISF, presence and resonance, with cab-sim out, plus built-in reverb. It's all there. The Mk2 has footswitchable modes for the 3 channels, as well, so slightly more versatile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          The JVM would be great. I really want a B* MKII HT-20 I think. With both amps I wonder if I'd prefer a combo or a head, partially because sealed cabs are nice with high gain, and at least in the case of Blackstar I think they use different speakers in the combos sometimes. You could use an extension cabinet or just use a head and go with a 1x12, 2x12, or even 4x12 if you've got the room. The only JVM I've ever messed with was a half stack, not sure what speakers they're using, but it was amazing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	490FFD9F-91E8-4F71-8A49-74137FBDEE36.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	5818239
            Ahh, that’s easy!!!

Get yourself a Deluxe Reverb (or reissue), install a replacement speaker because regardless of year the stock driver sucks, then all you have to do is go ahead & spend another grand or so on a bunch of “Amplifier in a box” pedals!

The end result is a amplifier that has perfect Fender cleans (because it is a Fender) with more than enough gain on tap, & once you’ve got your pedals, several different verities of distortion...
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]103318[/ATTACH]
              Ahh, that’s easy!!!

Get yourself a Deluxe Reverb (or reissue), install a replacement speaker because regardless of year the stock driver sucks, then all you have to do is go ahead & spend another grand or so on a bunch of “Amplifier in a box” pedals!

The end result is a amplifier that has perfect Fender cleans (because it is a Fender) with more than enough gain on tap, & once you’ve got your pedals, several different verities of distortion...
              Certainly not a bad idea, only it's pretty much what I've been doing for 15 years. I started on bass during college, and even after migrating to guitar I've been playing them through various bass amplifiers, my current one being a Fender Bassman 150 1x12 kickback combo. You want clean, bass amps do clean, then I have a pair of Digitech Hardwire gain pedals (the TS-derived Tube Overdrive and their Valve Distortion "Marshall-in-a-box") to dirty up the tone, with a modest selection of other effects as the mood strikes.

What I don't have are actual tubes. I've considered the English Muff'N and similar AX7-type preamp boxes, but ultimately I decided if I was going to go for tubes, I might as well have those tubes in an honest-to-God guitar amp instead of faking it with yet another pedal.

Hence the question, basically boiling down to: if you needed one amp that could give you a passable tone with or without pedals, at gain levels ranging from clean through classic rock into about grunge, at a wattage level (and a feature set) that works in the home studio and at small to medium gigs, what would you buy?

The '65 Deluxe Reverb is a great option, I seriously considered it. However, after looking at all the recommendations, I settled on the Bassbreaker 30R for its lower price and studio-friendly features. It's on it's way from the Reverb seller, I'll post the NAD when it gets here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X