banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well-executed "jack of all trades" tube amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well-executed "jack of all trades" tube amp?

You don't need a load box with the Bassbreaker. It has a 'Mute' switch instead of Standby and you can record from the XLR outs while it's muted.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40. Tones and versatility are what this amp is all about, in a powerful but lightweight format.
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        You don't need a load box with the Bassbreaker. It has a 'Mute' switch instead of Standby and you can record from the XLR outs while it's muted.
        This is one of the reasons I like the Bassbreaker, especially as a versatile tube amp. Having a mutable direct out (XLR) seems like a must in this day and age.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
          One of the Orange lunchbox amps could do all that. The Brent Hinds is like a mini Marshall. The others are more typically Orange voiced.
          Huh? I had Tiny Terror and it was strictly good for mid gain hard rock crunch.

It sounded great, but that was pretty much all it could do.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post

Yeah, I'm also confused by that post. I like my Tiny Terror a lot but versatility is not the point of that amp at all. It has 3 knobs that give you small variations on the same sound.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post
              Interesting take. I do like the versatility inherent in my DAW plugins, but even though I probably couldn't accurately tell you which is which in a blind test, there's just always been something NKR about the modeling amps. I will give the SpiderValve a good look if/when I can find one.

Which is another problem; even though I'm in a major metro, it's a big sprawl, not really known for its live music scene, and GC isn't what it used to be in terms of selection, new or used. So, finding a decent selection of these lower-cost options to try out has been tricky of late, even though you'd think these kinds of options would be best sellers among home studio recordists and patio-gig players.
              I have not tried a SpiderValve so I can't say how they sound. My experience has been that cheap modeling gear is still noticeably off and you need to get to the Helix/Fractal/Kemper level before it's indistinguishable, but I haven't tried newer cheap stuff in several years.

The HX Stomp is a great option if you don't need tons of effects all in the same preset (it has all the same amp, cab and effects models as the bigger units, but fewer can be used simultaneously). I already had a Helix LT when it came out, otherwise I'd have gotten that, because I just run an amp and cab model 90% of the time, so the full setup is overkill for me. The amp tones are amazing and recording with it is so convenient (I save a copy of the preset named after the song I used it on, so if I go back to work on the song again I can use exactly the same tone).

I recently took my Helix to a rehearsal space where I'd been using their DSL40CR and plugged into the effects loop return. I really like the amp but I'm now 100% sold on this setup. Being able to assign multiple things to one footswitch is a game changer. Being able to swap out amps (even in the same preset, changing mid song with no lag) is huge. Want a Fender clean tone with reverb and your leads to sound like a tubescreamer into a JCM800 with a bit of delay? You can do that easily and you can switch between them with only one footswitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                Yeah, I'm also confused by that post. I like my Tiny Terror a lot but versatility is not the point of that amp at all. It has 3 knobs that give you small variations on the same sound.

The Orange Rocker 15 Terror and Brent Hinds Terror both have dedicated clean channels. The Tiny Terror isn't their only lunchbox, you know.

Then, there is the Dual Terror. With 30 watts, it's cleaner than any of the other ones.
                Last edited by guitfiddle; 02-04-2020, 04:59 PM.
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I have the Bugera G5 which is a copy of the Blackstar HT5

both have similar features

headphone cab emulated out that is alway active just leave in standby

xlr out cab emulated as well

a morph knob that changes the tone stack from American to British or a blend of both

two channel with a nice gain

attenuation on the power section

comes in a 20 watt version as well
                  but 5 is what the home recorder needs

a pedal in front for higher gain would help

I love mine I use a Joyo Ultimate drive in front if I need more grind
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah, question of the ages perhaps, but my interests range across many genres, while money is, as often happens, in much shorter supply than inspiration.

Long story short, I've been lurking around looking for a true tube circuit that will take me from true cleans up through, let's say 90s hard rock in terms of gain/crunch. Pretty much everywhere I go, I'll have access to pure solid-state volume where I need it, so the little sub-30w jobs have been my primary focus.

My specific "one" and front-runner for years now has been the Peavey Valve King II series, either the mini-head and a cab of my choice or one of the 1x12 combos. On paper, its everything a home and small-gig guitarist would want in a single amp, with a massive gain range and a variety of I/O configurations. In practice, reviews are mixed, with many saying the tones just aren't there, the amp is too fiddly to gig with even when you find the tones you like in each channel, and the quality of the cab and speaker are where they cheaped out to have the money for the feature set. While none of this seems totally insurmountable with enough time and money, I'm hoping against hope that another manufacturer has taken the studio/small-gig do-all to a level of execution I'll be happy with long after initial novelty, and without needing hundreds more in mods to fully realize the concept.

I'm wondering if any of you have found a true "do-all" in the clean through moderately-heavy gain range, that doesn't compromise anywhere a discerning ear will notice, but does wring out every drop of value for dollar in its price range. I'm no stranger to solid state but I am interested in true tube tone, so a hybrid "valvetronic" circuit isn't a turn-off, but modeling just isn't my bag at the moment.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                    I am using the much maligned ValveKing II 20 in this role.

The only place I find it lacking is the Clean channel breakup. However that is because I am measuring it against my Classic 30 Clean channel.

Thinking about this, I run a very specific set of tubes in my Classics. The VK II is still whatever went in it on the assembly line. I might have to roll some tubes thru the VK II...

Other than that one spot on the dial, my VK II can hang with my JSX.

Have you tried one of the VK II's yet?
                    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Genz Benz El Diablo 60 combo can be found used for next to nothing these days. A very underrated, versatile amp with a fantastic clean channel.

Having said that, and having owned one for years, I've found versatility overrated. My next amp will be a one-trick pony. One good trick is all I really need.

Comment

The IRT Studio caught my eye; a lot of the same on-paper features as the Peavey, somewhat of a half-assed wattage selection but offset by the more straightforward pedal control, and it can definitely do a tight clean and a hard crunch. Haven't heard too many 70s-80s sounds out of it, Laney has a rep for much harder tones, so I'll have to play around with a TS or clean boost on the clean channel to see how clean it stays. Used prices are pretty nice, though I will need to find a cab for live work.
                        Nice '80s sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_8g1GXyoKU

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                          The Orange Rocker 15 Terror and Brent Hinds Terror both have dedicated clean channels. The Tiny Terror isn't their only lunchbox, you know.

Then, there is the Dual Terror. With 30 watts, it's cleaner than any of the other ones.
                          Well, I haven't tried those two, but just having clean channel doesn't necessarily translate to "versatility".

15 w is pretty low wattage for it, and Orange amps in general aren't exactly know for that either...

But maybe they are. Dual Terror especially might be really good candidate.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

The Spidervalve doesn't fall under the heading of "cheap modeling gear".

Comment

Boogie.

Many choices, but I like the Mark III (fully-loaded), Mark IV, Mark V (all of them!). The V:90 is like 27 amps rolled into one; I use one with my band, with multiple guitars doing a really wide range of material.

The Dual Calibre Series (DC-3/-5 especially) are terrific, as are Lonestars, or the more basic Express +. Stiletto and Atlantic models get you Brit tones, and a Maverick 212 will put an AC-30 to shame. Though it's not a high-gain amp, there are also Plexi and Fender tones in the Mav. The Electro-Dyne is another one that can be really versatile.

The new Fillmore Series is pretty cool, and I'd buy one...but I already have seven Mesas! And for just a "basic" amp that California Tweed has a lot of cool features and lush 6V6 sounds.

A lot to choose from. And honestly, I've gotten a lot more compliments on my playing since I sold my vintage Fenders and Marshalls and began using Mesa amps.

Bill

P.S. I use my 112 Mesa combos on top of a Mesa 112 EVM Thiele cab for added low-end thump and projection. I love the small footprint, and it will hang with any half-stack.
                              Last edited by Boogie Bill; 02-05-2020, 08:15 PM.
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Bugie (Bugera 333XL Infinium )

Seriiously great tones ..anything from sparlkly cleans to killer crunch to absolutely awesome high gain...

I'd say my 30W Cicognani Brutus Live as well...does just about anything really well..

Hard t come by ...but it's a tone monster....

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X