banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well-executed "jack of all trades" tube amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well-executed "jack of all trades" tube amp?

&...Sexy tone!

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

The VH thing..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

mesa boogie is what comes to mind but they arent cheap. a mark iv or mark v can do almost anything very well. is it the same as having a super reverb sitting next to a 1987 next to a slo? no, but its a hell of a lot easier to haul around. well made and very tweakable

Comment

For me it’s a Marshall DSL 40 cr - has all the fixings and 4 channels - all of them very nice and useable. Surprisingly nice cleans too.

Comment

Versatility and decent value, the Egnater Tweakers spring to mind for me.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

The jvm is really good

The valveking ii was mentioned and while I thought it was good the 20w one I found was many kinda nice but slightly bland tones but maybe just needed different speaker when I tried it.

I liked the Peavey jsx they are not expensive now I think I thought the crunch tones were good and the cleans were pretty nice and full. They have an ok low end and good crunch, they don't need to be cranked to get a good sound. They have a sweet preamp

The tweaker 15 needed footswitchable modes and to not cook the 6v6 so hot, I felt like I could never get it to sound really blackfacey or really tweedy, and the gainy stuff felt spongey. Not bad but i just think there's better amps worth the step up in price

I considered a mesa express 5:25 when I got my supersonic but to me the supersonic sounds little more open and less hot and boxy. But the mesa has many many good mid gain tones and a vocal quality I think is good for blues

The DSL can do a good 70s and 80s rock sound all day
              I think with pedals you could get a more 90s sound
              But the jvm does everything it does and has a nice smooth feel and the high gain is better than the DSL, but they are expensive!

Comment

Have several amps that fit the bill.
                New production currently available amp would be my PRS MT 15 head and a nice cab.
                First off the cleans on this little head are just jaw dropping. Very warm round sweet and smooth with a pull boost that lets it get that nice edge of breakup tone. By far the best cleans I have heard from one of these smaller lunchbox style tube heads and makes a fantastic pedal platform.
                Crunch side is very modern thick smooth and rich without being muddy stock. They ship with all JJ's in the pre which makes the amp on the dark side but rolling in say a set of the new 4004 Mullards will open this amp up a LOT. Gain is high and while these don't do that blusey edge of breakup tones on the crunch side well the rest of the amp tonal capability is jaw dropping. VERY expressive and organic amp to play with an incredible amount of touch sensitivity, feel and response. Cleans up and opens up with touch and volume control as well as any amp I have ever played just a very inspiring dynamic rig to play through!! Best fluid solo tones I have ever gotten ever with a tube head and nothing else this thing just SINGS!!
                Only down side is do NOT expect this amp to be a quiet low volume bedroom amp as it's LOUD!! Very hard amp to control at low volumes but for a small grab and go true gigging amp with a ton of headroom versatility and great tones this is a real winner.
                Last edited by Ascension; 02-10-2020, 09:35 AM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  mesa boogie is what comes to mind but they arent cheap. a mark iv or mark v can do almost anything very well. is it the same as having a super reverb sitting next to a 1987 next to a slo? no, but its a hell of a lot easier to haul around. well made and very tweakable
                  New they are expensive but some of the older amps are fairly easy to find at a sane price and very very good.
                  Have a pair of 90's Boogies that fit the bill here very well.
                  First one is my little 20 watt 1/10 Subway Rocket. Super small light amp that absolutely KILLS!! Tones miced in the FOH are truly jaw dropping with this little amp. Fantastic loop great cleans and crunches and think I paid $400 OTD for this one.
                  Also have a DC-5 head from the same era that is voiced very close to the little Subway and I run it with the same pedal board.
                  The DC 5 is super versatile can get GREAT low volume tones and is just BRUTAL when you really crank it. Think I have maybe $600 in the head.
                  Both are built like tanks bulletproof reliable small relative light and can get a very wide range of tones.
                  The little Rocket running the crunch side and have only a delay and verb in the loop with a wah on the front at super low stage volume miced in a Church setting.
                  Last edited by Ascension; 02-10-2020, 10:17 AM.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The best I've come across is the Vox AV series. I have an AV30 and absolutely love it. Everything you need to know about it: https://voxamps.com/product/av30/

The only digital in it is the effects bank. However, the delay has a very analog feel. The repeats get warmer as they fade out like an old analog delay would. It's a loud little amp. Our drummer hits his kit hard, like breaking cymbals hard, and this amp hangs in there no problem. And it is light. The 5-button footswitch is a must, IMO. That gives the ability to turn each effect on/off, tap delay and channel switching. Really easy to dial in too.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                      Versatility and decent value, the Egnater Tweakers spring to mind for me.
                      If your more to hard rock / metal: Rebel has sharper voicing. Not Marshally, but smoother on it's own. It needs little push for nice cutting growl.

I love mine with treble booster.

They are not meant to be Fender to Marshall to Vox copies. They have their own tonal charcter. It's irrelevant if it doesn't sound Fendery.

If you want Fender get Fender.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post

The valveking ii was mentioned and while I thought it was good the 20w one I found was many kinda nice but slightly bland tones but maybe just needed different speaker when I tried it.

I liked the Peavey jsx they are not expensive now I think I thought the crunch tones were good and the cleans were pretty nice and full. They have an ok low end and good crunch, they don't need to be cranked to get a good sound. They have a sweet preamp.

I would agree with the JSX. However I saw cost as a significant factor in the OP and new the JSX cost around 3 times more than the VK II. Where I am at, used Peavey gear typically sells for around half of what it MAP'd when new. Owning both a JSX 212 and a VK II 20, the VK II is easier to move, has some cool additional features and there are places I would take the VK II that I would not take the JSX.
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Egnater Tweaker line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can do it all with my Mesa Stiletto, yet I only do one thing with it. But damn it does that well! But it could do anything. Try a Mesa Stiletto Ace.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'd say DSL40CR or HT-20 MKII. The JVM's are great too but surely pricier.

Comment

My "do it all" amp, if I had to have just one, would be a blackface Deluxe Reverb, and I'd have an extension cab in reserve for when I needed more from it. It's probably the most commonly used and classic workhorse amp of all time. In many venues, they're just clean enough to be played clean or be a pedal platform, and just dirty enough to use cranked, if you prefer to get your dirt that way.

Use a good ABY box with it, and you have a foot switchable multi channel amp. You can set the two channels very differently (clean/dirty, or midrangey/trebly, for example), and you can also use both. That trick in combination with a foot-switchable graphic e.q., and the amp can pretty much do it all.
                                Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-12-2020, 04:18 AM.
                                Originally posted by LesStrat
                                Yogi Berra was correct.
                                Originally posted by JOLLY
                                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X